cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BlueChesse
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Total Protection desktop icon keeps coming back

Hi everyone! I'm currently using a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit Premium (fully updated) and McAfee Total Protection suite version 10.0.569 (also updated as of today). Upon installation McAfee installer created a desktop shortcut 'McAfee Total Protection'. I like to keep my desktop clean and don't have any icons on it except for the Recycle Bin. I can always access McAfee software via taskbar so I have no need for the one on desktop. I can delete it and everything is fine untill I reboot my laptop but within 20 sec or so the new McAfee Total Protection icon shows up on my desktop. This is the only icon I have a problem with.  I have deleted it at least a dozen times but it keeps coming back. Is there a setting I can change to get rid of it or is there any other way to remove it?

I know it's not a huge issue but just curious what could be causing this.

Thanks for your help.

2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Total Protection desktop icon keeps coming back

We have complained about it already and some users have posted ingenious ways of stopping it here: 

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/21606?tstart=0

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee Total Protection desktop icon keeps coming back

This thread got involved with a new similar issue in 2011/12 so am locking this thread as the 2010 problem was solved.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community