Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 30

Re: McAfee Total Protection 2013 - error message

Jump to solution

Well it was discontinued so I think maybe best let it stay uninstalled.   Glad you are OK now.

mrburns42
Former Member
Message 22 of 30

Jump to solution

Here are my findings.   Yes,  my XP system had both Google Desktop and Google toolbar installed.  I removed both applications and then rebooted.  Now, since I just did a clean install of Version 11.0 yesterday,   all I did was open MTP and tell it to check for updates.  It downloaded an update, installed it and then asked me to reboot.  After this reboot,  I am at version 12.8   build 12.8.750.   Everything is working normally.  I have no more pop-ups and when opening the Security Panel,  I see everything normally.  No more white box.   Thank you for the tip that this is a conflict.

In my opinion, if MTP is not compatible with these Google Apps,  then both the install process and McAfee Virtual Technician should be checking for these.  

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 30

Jump to solution

I sort of agree, but as they are technically obsolete anyway, I would imagine that thought never entered the developers' minds.

nukexxx
Contributor
Message 24 of 30

Jump to solution

I, for one, didn't know about the demise of Google Desktop. I see it now (http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2011/09/google-desktop-will-be-discontinued.html), but Google Desktop still got put on my PC somehow just last month. I understand that I must have done it, but something must have solicited me to install it.

I just did a reinstall of Windows XP three weeks ago, using my original circa 2006 OS disc (which included IE6). I had to do ~200 updates to Windows, MS Office, IE, etc to get back to "normal." Somewhere along the line, something must have prompted me to install Google Desktop. How could that be if it's been discontinued for two years? I do have a Google account (Google Docs; Gmail, etc). Perhaps that caused something to prompt me to install Google Desktop without thinking.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 30

Jump to solution

That could have been the case or maybe it installed along with some other software as an unnoticed optiional extra.  It's easy to miss those things if one is in a hurry or busy with other things.

That's a PITA regarding your original XP CD.  I could, if you wish, PM you a link to an XP SP3 ISO which would negate many of those updates the next time around but I would need to know if it's Home or Pro & you must promise not to publish the link.

But bear in mind that XP expires next April 8.

We've been told that XP will be supported by McAfee until the end-of-life of 12.8, which should be sometime in 2015 I think.   12.8 will be the last version of the software that will install on XP.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/10/13 1:52:24 EDT PM
nukexxx
Contributor
Message 26 of 30

Jump to solution

Please do send me the link. (Do you need my email?) When I reinstalled XP(Professional, Media Center Edition; it doesn't say 64-bit in My Computer Properties, so I think it's 32),  I used the "create backup" option, and it put a "backup" file on my C-drive that contained everything, including Windows. I suspect that's corrupting my "clean" install, and I can't get rid of it now. I also don't know how to open it up to extract any data files (especially my Turbo Tax files). I'm seriously considering starting all over, but without the "backup option." (I have most data backed up on an external drive, but I can't restore it to see it because my hard drive is clogged!)

Yes, I heard about XP, and a new laptop is in my future, but not right now. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 30

Jump to solution

I'll send you a private message shortly but I only have the non-media center edition, is that OK?   I don't need your email.   It has to be 32-bit because the 64-bit was really a novelty and was not compatible with most things.

Confim if you want the non media center edition.

nukexxx
Contributor
Message 28 of 30

Jump to solution

That'd be great, as long as it's XP Professional. I've never used the Media Center, which I found to be confusing and an extraneous layer.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 30

Jump to solution

OK, I'll send you a private message shortly.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/11/13 2:03:31 EDT PM
dbcouper
Former Member
Message 30 of 30

Jump to solution

Wow!  Thanx, Nuke!  I've been following a thread that is running concurrently, and then found this one.

Like you, I've fried my brain trying to fix this error message and white screen.  Don't know how it got installed in the first place, but I just uninstalled Google Desktop, and rebooted.  Everything is working correctly now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community