cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobT36
Former Member
Message 1 of 17

McAfee SecurityCenter & Windows Live Messenger - Scanning Received Files

Hi there, I'm not sure if this is the correct area of the forum as theres about a million sections. Anyways I am using BTNetProtectPlus in Association with McAfee (It basically just says McAfee Security Center when I mouseover the icon). I have posted on the BT community forums about this but have still received no reply.

Basically the problem is that I cannot find a "scan specific file on demand" scanner module to use for Windows Live Messenger and GetRight download manager to force a "manual" scan on a specific file after it has been received/downloaded. Basically whatever .exe/parameter to use for this setting:

The technology must exist as ya can manually scan a specific file simply by right clicking and selecting scan with McAfee.

Anyways I have searched around and theres been lots of threads ongoing about this, some from a few years back. The problem is best described this topic: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=196489&highlight=Windows+live+messenger

Basically if a virus scanner module is not set in Windows Live Messenger, it refuses to allow you to accept zip and exe files and possibly others, and just gives this message as it thinks there's no AV program installed:

Also I can confirm this DOES still happen after restarting. With all my previous AV programs WLM and Getright automatically detected the AV module to use and scan the files with, but with McAfee they do not.

The current argument seems to be "Well McAfee scans all created files automatically so you're protected!", but this is pointless if files cannot be received in the first place due to one of the most commonly used programs EVER (Messenger) rejecting the file cause it thinks there's no AV program actively running. Also Getright splits, downloads and "Assembles" the files, it doesn't merely "create" them so I'm not sure if the protection applies there either.

So yeah, has there been any further developments over the years since all the other topics were posted? As otherwise I'm stuck telling WLM to use one of the random modules in the McAfee folder that don't seem to do anything, (but still could bodge something up) or I can't receive any files through msn and possibly other programs that demand ya have an active AV program set.

This is NOT a firewall or other security problem btw, everything else seems to work fine. There just needs to be a "scan completed download" module that can be used for these programs, especially WLM else it may be doing its job in providing protection, but not doing its job in allowing the user to complete their required tasks. Many programs nowdays require ya to manually set a specific scanner, probably to reduce their own liability for anything bad received through their service, so its an important issue.
Labels (1)
16 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

RE: McAfee SecurityCenter & Windows Live Messenger - Scanning Received Files

Well, whether it's the popular answer or not, it does scan incoming files automatically unless disabled of course.

You can scan an individual file or folder once it's downloaded, or drive for that matter. Just right-click and select "Scan". It will scan it and any associated items.

That also works in Safe Mode by the way.
BobT36
Former Member
Message 3 of 17

Aye I get that part, which is fine initially as it seems to work.

The problem is that some programs, especially Windows Live Messenger DEMAND ya set a scanner module within the program for it to use to scan received/downloaded files, and if theres nothing set, it doesn't let ya accept them as it thinks ya unprotected as showed in the alert in the post above.

I can understand the benefit of automatic "autoprotect" style scanning keeping ya fully rotected, but in reality when popular programs (especially WLM) demand a seperate scanner module for on-download scanning then its something that needs to be looked into.

Its no good having a super duper product if ya can't use the main features of the most common windows programs as they think ya haven't got McAfee (or any other AV protection whatsoever) in the first place. Its not totally the programs fault as they need to recognise that ya ARE protected, which they can't with McAfee as they do it through an on-demand specific file scanner module.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 17

I've been using Windows Live Messenger for ages and never been asked to specify a scanner.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 17

I still can't figure out why WLM is asking you that and has never asked me the same, however, perhaps if you tell it to use mcods.exe which is the on-demand scan?

Try C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\mcods.exe
BobT36
Former Member
Message 6 of 17

Nope, doesn't do anythin. 😞

Does however get it to shut up during file transfers though. Hmm I wonder if theres any parameters or anything that could get it to use that to actually scan whatever files being transferred.

And yeah on mine in the "File transfer options", if ya don't have WL Onecare, or the box ticked and a scanner listed, it complains when ya try and receive Zip or exe files. (the images I posted).

Other users have the prob too, one guy on one of my forums even asked someone to code a "blank" exe for him just so he could list something to get it to shut up lol.

No idea why its not doing it with you if ya have that option unticked and don't have the Onecare thing it tries to get ya to download. Ya tried it with zips? :S
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 17

I haven't ticked that option so it doesn't look for any scanner.
BobT36
Former Member
Message 8 of 17

Yeah when thats unticked on mine it says that theres none there and won't accept zips lol. :/null
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 17

I guess it's been a while since I transferred anything but accroding to the help it looks like you have to leave it blank unless using One Care Protection, which I gather is on the way out anyway...this gets stranger by the minute. (See Notes)

Save and scan received files

You can choose where to save files you receive. You can also use a virus checking program to scan your received files.
Click to expand:

Specify the location where files are saved

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. In the left pane, click File Transfer.
  3. Under Save received files in this folder, click Change.
  4. Select the folder where you want to save your incoming files, and then click OK.

Scan your received files

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. In the left pane, click File Transfer.
  3. Select the Scan files for viruses using check box.
  4. Click Browse to select your own virus scanning software, and then click Open.
  5. If you want to use the free virus scanner for Messenger, click Install, and then follow the on-screen instructions.
  6. Click OK.

Tip

Click Learn More to get help with virus scan functions.

Notes

• Scanned files that are infected should be deleted.
  • If you chose to use Windows Live OneCare safety scanner to scan your files, potentially infected files will be listed in the Submit Files for Evaluation window. To help Microsoft determine if these files are infected, select the files listed and click OK.
  • Infected and potentially infected files that are found by the safety scanner can be accessed in a hidden folder (This is a folder that is not viewable using the default view settings for Microsoft Windows.) .
  • If you're using Windows XP, the hidden folder can be found at the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\QuarantinedFiles.
  • If you're using Windows Vista, the hidden folder can be found at the following location: C:\users\your username\AppData\local\Microsoft\QuarantinedFiles.
  • To learn more about using Windows Live OneCare to help protect your computer, visit the Windows Live OneCare site.

Notes

• Windows Live OneCare safety scanner is the only scanner that will scan files in sharing folders and display scan results in the Windows Live Messenger sharing folders window.
  • If you install third party virus scanning software, the safety scanner will not be used to scan files for transfer.
  • If you are using Messenger on a local area network with a firewall (A security feature designed to help protect a computer from unauthorized external access. It can be hardware, software, or both.) (on a corporate network, for example), you may be unable to use Messenger to send files to contacts outside the firewall.
  • Some features may not be available in your country or region.