cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diny
Former Member
Message 11 of 20

Re: McAfee Security Scan installed on my computer

McAfee Security Scan installed on my computer too. It happened when I installed Adobe Reader. I unchecked the box which asked me to install McAfee but it still did. I found SSScheduler.exe in my task manager and researched to find out what it was. I know that it happened during the Adobe Reader install because I searched my computer for the date and time that McAfee was installed and found that it was at the same time that Adobe Reader was installed. Shame on McAfee and Adobe for forcing this on us.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 20

It's Adobe's installer that's at fault, the same thing happened to me the other day.   Luckily it's easy enough to remove, as previously stated.

awcscott
Former Member
Message 13 of 20

I'd like to know if McAfee is going to be sending me some money to help answer all the calls from confused employees when these bogus "security scans" start popping up on our company systems and I have to send someone down to remove this crap.  Perhaps a few class action lawsuites might make it a bit easier for them to see how installing unwanted so called "security" products on a corporate network can PISS OFF the IT department that has little to no time already to handle the real problems. 

jimbob15
Former Member
Message 14 of 20

yes, Ive had this installed on my machine too! I think it must be a trojan virus, ironic when this stuff is supossed to stop such things! Ive uninstalled it so hopefully that will be the end. I did have to jump thru an annoying number of hoops in order to reply to you here!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 20

As previously explained it is totally harmless and merely checks your security status and is easy to uninstall.

When downloading stuff from other makers, expecially Adobe, make sure there are no optional downloads already checked off to be included with the download.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/10/11 5:40:01 EDT AM
john_allman
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Re: RE: McAfee Security Scan installed on my computer

I have just acquired McAfee Security Scan Plus apparently free of charge, packaged in with Adobe Reader free download.  But I already had BT Net Protect Plus, which is McAfee product rebranded.

Apparently, I presently have both products running at the same time.  Is there any added value in this?  Any contention risk?  Any performance cost?  Should I uninstall Security Scan Plus?

(I am assuming that I will receive an email notification if and when somebody replies to this post.  If not, could anybody who does reply please email me manually, at <email address removed for reasons of online safety - Hayton>, letting me kinow that there is a reply waiting, and including a link to this page?  Thanks.)

Message was edited by: john_allman on 29/10/13 18:10:36 CDT

Message was edited by: Hayton on 30/10/13 01:45:25 GMT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 20

No it's merely a sales gimmick.  It should be listed as a programme in your Control Panel > Programs so you can uninstall it from there.

john_allman
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Thanks.  I have removed Security Scan Plus.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 20

Good.  All the best 😉

As this thread is rather old I'm locking it.   Anyone with similar questions or issues please start a new discussion, thank you.

tfnine
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

THANK YOU!

An hour ago I updated Adobe Flash Player, and McAfee just now appeared on my desktop.

When I have updated Flash in the past I have seen the option to add McAfee to the update.  Either I didn't see the box or it wasn't there this time to de-select the McAfee add-on.

Thank you for solving this conundrum.  GOOD JOB!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community