cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobbieW64
Former Member
Message 1 of 64

McAfee Security Center errors

I got this brand new computer from Dell a week ago last Tuesday. Last Thursday McAfee virus scan ran it's first scan, and all came up good. Last Friday when I turned on my computer I get the "not protected message". I used the "Fix" button and it supposedly fixed some of the problems but couldn't fix all. Then I went to the customer support and used the Virtual Technician, and it also supposedly fixed some of the problems but not all. So I used the Chat option and the Tech told me I had to uninstall the Security Center and reinstall it. I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but again after the reboot I got the not protected message. And this time it says that multiple parts didn't install correctly. So uninstalled it again and this also used the "MCPR" tool to unistall again after using the regular uninstall function. I downloaded and reinstalled again and this all looked good.

And then Saturday I turn on my computer and I get the not protected message. I open Security Center and I have even more problems than the day before, so again I use the Fix button and again not all fixed, and again I go to customer support and use the Virtual Technician and again not all fixed, and again I use the Chat option and talked to a Tech. He has me go to open the Dos command screen and directs me to open some notepad thing and has me delete the contents of that and paste in what he sent me to add to it. And he tells me I have to uninstal and reinstal again. I try to do that and nothing installs, I use the MCPR tool again and download again, and still nothing installs. I had to use the Restore feature to roll back to Thursday to get it to reinstall. All looked good.

Sunday I turn on my computer and guess what. Yep again not protected, but back to the issues that Friday started with. So I go through all the same fixes and again talk to a Tech and tell him that I have already unistalled and reinstall multiple times. So he connects me with a different Tech that took could view my screen and control my mouse and keyboard functions. He went through many of the exact same steps as the previous Techs guided me through and tried a few other things, and then gave up. Asking if he could have my phone number to contact me Monday to be able to try again.

Monday I get the call, but it is a different Tech and he goes through all the same steps yet again, and again gives up. Says he needs to get with someone else and research for more solutions. And again I give my phone number to be called back on Tuesday.

Tuesday I wait and wait and wait, and no phone call. So I decide to unistall and reinstall again on my own. And it all installed correctly and showed that all was working. Another hour later and I finally get the phone call. And told them I got it working for now.

Wednesday I turn on my computer and lord help me. Not Protected. So I uninstall it and reinstall it and again it shows all fixed, all working. So I run a new scan, figured I better get it in while it was working. All came up good.

Thursday I turn on my computer and Lo and Behold. NOT PROTECTED!!
BTW the issues being listed under the fix button the last few days are as follows.
Real-time scanning is disabled.
Spyware and potentially unwanted program scanning is disabled.
IM scanning is disabled.
Script scanning is disabled.

When I hit the Fix button it clears all the issues except the Spyware and potentially unwanted program scanning is disabled. But that only lasts for about 10 mins and then all the errors return. Same thing everyday.

I have gone into Safe Mode and deleted the contents of the DAT file and did the update to reinstal that. Doesn't help.

NEXT!
63 Replies
user_143685
Former Member
Message 2 of 64

RE: McAfee Security Center errors

i have the same problem, does anyone have a fix to this?
reinstalling doesn't help.
wumizle
Former Member
Message 3 of 64

Me too!!

I'm also having this problem. i'm thinking of asking for a refund and switching to another anit-virus software.
user_143685
Former Member
Message 4 of 64

RE: Me too!!

me too, except i dont get a refund..i got this software for free with comcast
wumizle
Former Member
Message 5 of 64

refund

did u ask for a refund and was refused or something?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 64

RE: refund

He can't get a refund - it was free.
RobbieW64
Former Member
Message 7 of 64

OK, I take it from the overhelming lack of response, that no one has any clue as to what to try to do.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 64

When other people chime in it takes it off the "Unanswered Posts" list and appears to have been dealt with, sorry.

When you uninstalled did you run the MCPR tool which removes all traces?

More information please:

Please include the following information:
What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update? There are two ways of checking this. Go to Start/Run and type in winver then click the Enter key. Or, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu or on your desktop (or Computer in Vista) and select Properties.
Post what it says.

Also what version of Internet Explorer is installed? Go to Help/About.

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 9 of 64

hi all,

just an addition to what Ex_brit has posted...

please also check if you have other security softwares currently installed in the system.

if ever you ran MVT it would help a lot if the session ID is posted here so we could also check out the result through the MVT report tool... hence provide you with a possible troubleshooting step...

happy
RobbieW64
Former Member
Message 10 of 64

Windows Vista Home Premium, version 6.0 (build 6001:service pack 1)

Dell XPS 6301
Intel core2 Quad cpu Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
8.0 GB of Ram
64 bit operating system
8,385,096 KB physical memory avialable to windows

Using IE7 verison 7.0.6001.1800
Cipher Strength: 256 bit.

And yes, as I mentioned in my post above I used the MCPR tool after unistalling. But also 1 of the chat tech went through my registery and removed all occurances of McAfee in there except the ones needed to keep the chat going. And also went to programs files and deleted all left over files there.

Sercurity Center
Version: 9.3
Build: 9.3.137
AffId: 105-258
Language: en-us
Language Pack: 9.3.106
Last Update: 4/1/2009

Virus Scan
Version: 13.3
Build:13.3.117
Language Pack: 13.3.113
Last Update: 4/4/2009
DAT Version: 5574.0000
DAT Creation Date: 4/4/2009
Engine Version: 5301.4018

Personal Firewall
Version: 10.3
Build: 10.3.106
Language Pack: 10.3.102

SiteAdvisor
Build: 2.8.304

Anit-Spam
Version: 10.3
Build: 10.3.109
AffId: 105.258
Language Pack: 10.3.103
Content Version: 3246
Content Update: 4/4/2009 8:28:47 PM
Engine Version: 2.1.0.7825

Parental Controls
Version: 11.3
Build: 11.3.103
Language Pack: 11.3.103

I have run the McAfee Virtual Technician multiples times as stated in post above. But I will run it once again and post what it says, right after I finish this post.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community