cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lost
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

McAfee Security Center Wont Start

Security Center refuses to load. It always crashes, with McAfee Security Center has encountered a problem and needs to close. Although, the Security Center will start fine in Safe Mode. Virtual Technician is worthless, just says that the DAT files are out of date... Any ideas?

3 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Security Center Wont Start

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the software? If not please try and remember to reboot after the uninstall. Run the MCPR removal tool and reboot again and then login and download and install the software and let us know if the issue has been resolved.

Lost
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Did that a couple times.  However I did figure out why it only worked safe mode.  While in safe mode, I would always login as Administrator, instead of the normal login.  So, on that thought, I created a new Administrator account on the pc, started normally, and now McAfee Security Center boots in the New account, but still fails in the old account.  My first thought on this was to check to see the differences in startup programs using Autoruns from Microsoft Technet.  Disabled the differences between the two accounts, and restarted.  No luck, McAfee Security Center crashes still on the old account, but continues to run on the new account.  Both accounts are administrator accounts as well.  So, my question now becomes what other differences between the two accounts could be causing this problem?

Message was edited by: Lost | Spelling Corrections. on 11/29/10 8:29:51 PM CST
Lost
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Couldn't find any major differences, made life easy, and just copied over the files to the new profile.  Everything works, so its good for now.  Although, this really isnt the proper solution or fix, i'm marking this question as answered.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community