cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dubnikova
Former Member
Message 1 of 42

McAfee Security Center - Interface problems.

I'm a retired software designer. A new version of Mcafee Security Center was automatically installed on my machine (Windows 7 Ultimate , Dell Studio XSP, IE 8, 64 bits) on 8/20/2010 since than I've discovered a number of problems.

1. The new version has an "mangeled" interface, not all the text is shown, and in many cases lettters overlap other letters, and some letter a trimmed. As I understand the interface runs in a IE shell, but I can't use the Compatibility View, that helped me in other cases..  When I try to work with the interface, lets say , change Security Levels, the screen is disabled to start with, there are two buttons: "Restore Defaults" and "Turn On". The "Restore Defaults" button is disabled. The "Turn On" button is enabled, yet when I click on it, the entire interface become enabled for a split second and all returns to be disabled. THis prevents me for changing the security levels so I can deal with my other problems.

2. Since the installation my Outlook incoming mail is not working.

3. A new version of iTunes 10, that was installed after 8/20 can't connect to the internet - the previous version did work, but I suspect that the Security Center has something to do with it.

Please sww attached 2 screen captures.

41 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 42

Re: McAfee Security Center - Interface problems.

The visual problems are probably caused by abnormal screen display settings, are you using Ease of Access controls and/or set display settings or font size to an abnormal level?

In I.E. under the View tab have you set text size to largest by any chance?

With iTunes you would want to give it full access.

Moved to SecurityCenter 10 by the way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/09/10 8:08:56 EDT AM
dubnikova
Former Member
Message 3 of 42

Ex_Brit.

The main problem as you see is my inablity to to work with the Security Level  the SC.  It is always disabled.

Setting IE text size doesn't make any difference,

Setting the Display to 100% made some visual improvements, but the CS is disabled nevertheless.

Thanks

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 42

It doesn't look disabled to me, just distorted.  Your firewall is off however and not too sure why that is unless you have some competing software installed perhaps?

For the distortion another thing to try is, and I'm assuming you have Internet Explorer 8 installed which you should have, go to IE/Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the reset button, Apply and OK any prompts.  Also go to the Content tab and make sure Content Advisor is NOT enabled.

Close and reopen the browser aqnd go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable the add-ons.

I suppose malware could also be effecting it so try running the free version of this software, update it before running and let it remove anything it finds.

If these visual distortions continue and the firewall refuses to switch on I suggest contacting Technical Support Chat linked under Useful Links above.

dubnikova
Former Member
Message 5 of 42

Trust me, the SC interface is disabled. I'm a retired softeare designer, and I know what I'm talking about.  You can see it clearly in the second picture I attached to my first post.

The text , the radio buttons and tne command button are all greyed out. The firewall is not OFF, it's On.

This is my problem. As for malware, I thought I already paid for Mcafee aoftware, that should find and kill malware.   Oh Well.

Thanks anyhow.  

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 42

If it's green it isn't disabled.  No antivirus software in the world is going to stop everything there is out there, but if you don't want to follow my advice on that that's fine.

I do suggest you contact Technical Support Chat on this as they can link up with your machine and check settings etc.

dubnikova
Former Member
Message 7 of 42

You are right the main interface is not disabled. My problem is that  the disabled part is the Security Levels.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 42

This isn't very common that's why I suggested checking for malware and/or contacting Tech. Support.  What is your operating system and service pack and is there any other security software installed either now or in the past?

dubnikova
Former Member
Message 9 of 42

No other security software but Mcafee.

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bits. IE 8, Dell Sudio XPS.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 42

Sounds good and should be working OK.  I can't think of what else to try (other than complete uninstallation, running the removal tool (Useful Links above) and rebbot then reinstall).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community