cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SShell
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Security Center Hijacked?

I had purchased McAfee Total Protection last month (Nov, 2008). My computer runs Windows XP, is a DELL and relatively new (6 months). Everything had been working fine until very recently...I cannot successfully open the McAfee Security Center. The icon appears in my tray, but once I click on it a McAfee window opens but remains white in color with a black bar across the top with the McAfee icon, and the minimize and close buttons. I do not need task manager to close it. My Windows-based Security Center through the control panel reads that my virus protection is McAfee and is engaged. I had since performed an online scan of my computer using Kapersky, then checked for spyware using AdAware and Spybot, my routine adware removeres. I followed up with a disk clean-up and a defrag. Upon restart, everything is the same in that I cannot seem to access McAfee! I also restored the computer to a previous point before the problem revealed itself and that did not work either. Please help.
5 Replies
GeanFreaks
Former Member
Message 2 of 6
SShell
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

RE: Hi

Hello,
I attempted to install the Windows Script 5.7 and an error appeared stating that this script is an older version than what is currently installed. I did install Windows Service Pack 3 (SP3) very recently; in fact, close to the time where this problem may have begun. Could this be an issue? Should I go to a restore point before SP3 was installed?
Thanks
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

IE 8 Beta 2?

Hi,

are you using IE version 8 beta 2?

if you are using that beta version please try uninstalling it... don't worry you'll have the previous version of IE after IE 8 is uninstalled...

hope it helps...
SShell
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

RE: IE 8 Beta 2?

Brilliant! I did install IE8beta2 recently. I returned to using IE7 and I can now interface with Mcafee. Thank you so very much. Happy Holidays!
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

RE: IE 8 Beta 2?

glad it's fixed! happy new year!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community