cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maverickdebx
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee Registration Problem through Proxy Server ? :x

I bought a Dell Laptop ( windows 7  64 bit, Mcafee 15 months ), but I haven't been able to register my McAfee product . I think it is due to the user authentication required by my institute's proxy server . Is there any way to fix this problem and get it up and running, other than going to a location outside and registering . Then I'll have to go for updates also. I don't understand why Mcafee doesn't make a connection module where we can provide required connection settings ( like say, GTalk has ) and solve the problem . I hope a solution is present, otherwise Dell and McAfee are really pissing people off ... I need some replies a.s.a.p...

3 Replies
user_107544
Contributor III
Message 2 of 4

Re: McAfee Registration Problem through Proxy Server ? :x

Hi maverickdebx,

Do you get any error while trying to register McAfee software on your computer & also could u please tell me how did you load McAfee software on to your computer ( CD or online download).

Regards,

Rakesh P

McAfee Technical Support

maverickdebx
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Firstly, I didn't load McAfee myself . It was preloaded with Dell Inspiron Laptop with 15 months license . I haven't been even given a CD or something . It came with the laptop. Secondly, everytime, i try to activate the software, it says , Activation Unsuccessful, check whether u r connected to the internet . I am connected to the internet through my institute's proxy server which requires authentication .

Thanks for your concern . Hope to get a reply soon .

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Hello maverickdebx,

Some Proxy servers are configured to require authentication with a username and password before allowing any network traffic through. While this is a valid configuration, the authentication requirement causes McAfee product downloads and updates to fail.Also,When connecting to the Internet through a proxy, McAfee Updates displays No Update are available. After 8 days, the McAfee protection status icon will be displayed in the system tray.Opening  McAfee SecurityCenter which will report the problem: Update problem .

hence ,  if you are behing a proxy server , we recommend  Disabling  authentication on the proxy server to allow anonymous connections so that you do not have any trouble with the updates that happens to your security programs .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community