cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
li3000
Contributor II
Message 1 of 12

McAfee Real time scanner keeps turning off and "At risk" sign won't go away

4/25/2019, both my desktop and laptop show "At risk" warning sign,  the Real time scanner is off. I turned it on, minutes later, it was off again. I search this site, find an old post (https://community.mcafee.com/t5/SecurityCenter/Mcafee-Real-time-scanner-keeps-turning-off/m-p/409503...) in 2013, followed the steps: removing McAfee from control panel, run MCPR, reinstall the McAfee in my desktop. Now once I turn "Real time scanning" on, the warning sign is still there, then click the DESKTOP, it still says the "Real time scanner" is off. At this point, I really don't know the "Real time scanning" is off or on. See attachment for the images to show you two panels from McAfee with one is on, another is off.

Second problem, If I close the McAfee then open it again, the "Real time scanning" is off again.

See images below for the detail.

Please help. 

Thanks.

image 1, Open McAfeeimage 1, Open McAfeeImage 2 after click "Turn it on"Image 2 after click "Turn it on"Image 3 after click DESKTOPImage 3 after click DESKTOP

11 Replies
mitchell1990
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: McAfee Real time scanner keeps turning off and "At risk" sign won't go away

i'm having that problem, plus mine won't scan
Joennuh
Contributor II
Message 3 of 12

I had exactly the same issue since about 22:30 (GMT+2) on both my laptop and after a restart of a PC (appearantly did hang after a restart after a powerloss) on that PC too.

On my laptop the notification menu of McAfee stated the last update was on 20:08 (GMT+2) and on my PC on 22:03 (GMT+2).

On my laptop a notification popup did appear to warn that Realtime Scanning was disabled. From the main screen I tried to enable Realtime Scanning and it seemed to start but the warning sign at the left column of the main screen remained. In the menu's Realtime Scanning appeared as Active. In the meanwhile the McAfee logo in the system tray remaind gray.

On my PC the notification popup that appeared told me that I had to check my subscription status. This could be the case since my old subscription should end somewhere these days but I already extended it with 2 years. After the popup and checking my subscription exactly the same case happened as with my laptop.

On both my devices I tried several times to re-enable the Realtime Scanning and even restarted the devices but it didn't solve the issue.

And then.. Suddenly... Out of the blue... The Realtime Scanner got enabled again and the McAfee icon in the system tray went from gray to red again. On both devices. 🙂 But how will it perform when I turn off my laptop today and turnit back on tomorrow?

On other thing to notice: a lot of programs do start very slow right after booting my laptop. Maybe this is related to the issue? I don't have to restart my PC that often (it's running a webserver and thus it needs to stay online as much as possible) but after the restart this evening it seemed to start programs normally. So the slow starting programs on my laptop could be unrelated to the McAfee issue.

EdgeLoop
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

I did a search and found a thread where they ran  the Diagnose and Repair tool. So far that took care of the realtime scanning starting off and it also fixed my manual scans not running (wouldn't even start).

Joennuh
Contributor II
Message 5 of 12

In addition to my previous post the McAfee updater also provided me error messages today that it wasn't able update McAfee.

I tried the Diagnostics and Repeair tool. It seemed to be able to start the realtime scanner and immediately after that the McAfee Updater tried to update McAfee. This took a bit longer than normal but it did it's job. Immediately after finishing the update the realtime scanner got disabled again and when I try to start it again from the main McAfee screen it won't really start. After a short while the realtime scanner started at his own according to the system tray icon that went from gray to red again.

Since the only new version I see is the Virusscan engine on April 26th, 2019 I guess there is something wrong with the virusscan engine files on April 25th, 2019 and April 26th, 2019...

li3000
Contributor II
Message 6 of 12

After I am getting the latest update from McAfee, both my laptop and desktop are fine now. I didn't do anything on my laptop, just get update, everything looks good. However since I followed the steps try to fix the desktop, I did see the out of synchronized warning sign on the DESKTOP, so I close the McAfee then open it again, all looks fine now.

The lesson learnt is not to do anything, wait for McAfee update. :).

Thanks for the help.

EdgeLoop
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I spoke too soon. It was good for over a day and the issue came back....

Joennuh
Contributor II
Message 8 of 12

Today after booting my laptop McAfee started again without enabled realtime scanning and at first I couldn't get realtime scanning enabled.

Then suddenly I saw this message (Dutch, English translation below image):

mcafee_realtime_scannen_01.png

English translation (I apologize for a possible bad translation, English is not my native language):

We repair realtime scanning

Unfurtonately realtime scanning doesn't work well. We try to repair the function as soon as possible.
Realtime scanning checks files when you open them and in this way it will protect your PC against virusses and other threats.

Already seen this message? Get to know how to solve this issue

So appearantly McAfee is alreade aware of the issues with realtime scanning and is trying to repair it. The blue link only brings you to the homepage of the support website. Shortly after this message McAfee automatically installed an update and so far realtime scanning still keeps running normally for about 15 minutes. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Joennuh
Contributor II
Message 9 of 12

A few updates later and McAfee Livesafe seems to run fine for 2 days (including restarts) on my laptop. The few times I checked my PC which run a little webserver the McAfee icon in the systemtray was red as it should be.

I will keep my eyes on it for a while but so far the issue seems to be solved.

li3000
Contributor II
Message 10 of 12

It's coming back, not sure what kind of fixes McAfee delivered. Today (May 1) my desktop has a green Secure circle, but DESKTOP has a warning sign; my laptop is opposite, the red "At risk" sign and Desktop is green. So with warning sign it indicates the Real Time scanner is off, green sign says it is On. At this point, I am not sure the Real Time scanner is on or off.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community