cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 31

Re: McAfee Real Time Scanning Slowing Computer Down After Patch?

Jump to solution

While Selvan tests this I would add a couple of thoughts.

1 OAS in the new 12.* version is not just the old mcshield program but other programs so its memory use is higher than that of mcshield in the older 11.6 and earlier.security centres

2. Nowhere have you mentioned what version of security center and virusscan you have installed.

3. Where are you changing the setting to "use minimal resources" the only place I see that is in custom and scheduled scan settings not in OAS ?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/08/13 6:56:03 AM
deathstalker
Former Member
Message 22 of 31

Jump to solution

McAfee Security Center

Version: 12.1

Build: 12.1.353

Affld: 105-540

Last update: 20/7/2013

McAfee Anti-virus & Anti-spyware

Version: 16.1

Build: 16.1.191

Last update: 21/8/2013

Engine version: 1623.0

Engine creation date: 20/8/2013

McAfee Personal Firewall

Version: 13.1

Build: 13.1.132

Last update: 20/7/2013

McAfee Anti-spam

Version: 13.1

Build: 13.1.154

Last update: 4/8/2013

Content version: 4677

Content update: 21/8/2013 11:56:58 pm

Engine version: 3.0.0.429

To reply to your thoughts:

1) I have already been using the 12.* version before this and everything was fine. If you read through my entire thread, you'll see my system specs, which is far more than enough juice to run McAfee even at its most resource taxing settings. If my machine can't even run McAfee at full speed, then I don't know what kind of supercomputer can. Clearly something is wrong and McAfee is broken by the latest patch. I also posted the workaround to have RTS/OAS on "strike a balance" or even "scan more thoroughly (highest setting)" work with Steam and Steam games without problems. But then, this workaround is only temporary as if I exit Steam and relaunch Steam again, the problem returns. Also, don't you think it's very abnormal or even 'naughty' for McShield.exe to be pegging up to 15% of CPU resources when Steam games is running? Also, I wish to highlight again that I've also tested this with ALL game performance settings, highest to lowest, and the stuttering is still there, because McShield.exe took most of it. And there is non-Steam games like Starcraft 2, which can run with McShield.exe set to "Strike a balance" or even "Scan thoroughly" without problems. FYI, Starcraft 2 is more resources taxing compared to CoD: Modern Warfare 2 or Torchlight 2, both Steam games, which stuttered when McShield.exe (RTS/OAS) is set to "Strike a balance" or "Scan thoroughly".

2) Refer to the above. As you can see here, only McAfee anti-virus and Anti-spam have been updated since the troubles began. So Anti-virus, of which OAS/RTS is part of, is the prime suspect here.

3) Under "Virus and Spyware Protection" in the main menu, the second settings, which is the "Real-Time Scanning" > Settings > Choose how thoroughly to scan my PC (Advanced). I wish to reiterate that the On-Access Scanner (OAS) and Real-Time Scanner (RTS) we're referring to here is both the same thing/feature with McShield.exe being the executable of this. McShield.exe is known as McAfee OAS under Windows Services. It's called RTS in the McAfee menu.

So, my thoughts? I've said this before and I want to say again, is that I suspect McShield.exe may be misdiagnosing Steam (false positive case?) as something suspicious and is spending too much CPU resources to constantly scrutinize it. Since the beginning of this year, McAfee has been more and more hostile to Steam as evidenced by McAfee refusing to allow Steam to update itself properly (currently fixed), blocking Steam from patching games (first time setup) and so on. This is the latest issue that McAfee has with Steam. It's not a big deal to me yet at the moment as I'm using OAS on "Minimal", but Valve (company that created and runs Steam) apparently is aware of the problem and posted troubleshooting articles on their forums.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6057-YLBN-1660

Valve even went as far as to tell users to disable antivirus software before running Steam due to many AVs pegging too much CPU resources.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9677-EUDC-7384

This error shows up whenever I download a new Steam game and launched it for first-time setup by Steam (updating DirectX or other components) with RTS turned ON. Clearly, RTS/OAS is interfering with the installation.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 23 of 31

Jump to solution

Also, I want to ask a question, does the RTS/OAS settings affect the behaviour of the normal virus scanner (scheduled or on-demand scan)? They should be independent of each other since they have separate settings, right?

Peacekeeper
Message 24 of 31

Jump to solution

Hmm I did read your specs that is why I never mentioned your specs as an issue. Is this stuttering only with online playing ie multiplayer versions of COD  Black ops? I wonder if OAS is scanning the data received If I have teh time and Selvan wants another to check i have the game unplayed here so can test it when I have the time.

re Q3 you were mentioning use minimal resourses I assume you were talking about the "Real-Time Scanning" > Settings > Choose how thoroughly to scan my PC (Advanced).

Use minimal resources confused me as that is a feature mentioned in custom and scheduled scans.

See what Selvan comes back with

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 25 of 31

Jump to solution

Now that you mention it, I went to test Singleplayer versions of several Steam games but they are all stuttering when OAS is set to higher than "minimal". Also, I've tested the framerates of these games and they are all good, but the stuttering is still happening. So this clearly is not about the graphics settings, but rather the computer maybe running low on CPU resources?

Games I've tested:

CoD: Modern Warfare 2 (both single and multiplayer versions)

CoD: Black Ops 2 (both single and multiplayer versions, with multiplayer, the stuttering is more evident)

Torchlight I (stutters slightly even in main menu animation)

Torchlight II (stutters slightly even in main menu animation)

Also, FYI, Black Ops 2 stutters even when in the multiplayer main menu, where the globe is spinning.

Peacekeeper
Message 26 of 31

Jump to solution

OK thanks will check over the weekend. My PC I7 975 extreme 12Gb ram

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 27 of 31

Jump to solution

It's been a while since I heard from you guys. How's the testing coming?

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 28 of 31

Jump to solution

Hi Deathstalker,

I ve tested this game on my PC and found that its working fine with McAfee's  default RTS settings. I've checked after several re-boots and found that the game is stable.

Following are my Test system information

Win 7 64bit

ATI Radeon HD graphics

Internet connection :  Broadband

MSC version 12.8.1

Build 12.8.750 ( you can download it from au.mcafee.com )

If i could see a considerable volume of users facing same issue I'll review accordingly. As of now you can set RTS settings to "Scan using Minimal resouces" as a temporary fix

Regards

Peacekeeper
Message 29 of 31

Jump to solution

I installed Call of duty  Black ops II and ran a single player game. Settings full graphics and so far have not noted any slowness.

This on 12.9 Mcafee version but this version similiar to current 12.8 release.

Pc I7 975 extreme

Ram DDR3 12Gb

Internet cable 30Mbs

Graphics GTX 295

Will keep playing it and when I feel ready will test multiplayer tho I will get slaughtered.

deathstalker
Former Member
Message 30 of 31

Jump to solution

Thanks guys. I've just tested my PC again with default (strike a balance) and even "scan thoroughly" RTS settings and now both are working fine with Steam games. My MSC and Anti-virus are still the same versions but Anti-virus & Anti-spyware engine is now: 1630.0, updated on 28 Aug 2013. No more stuttering nor performance issues. All CPU and memory usage readings are normal with McShield.exe now only using a mere 0.35% max CPU resource and about 200,000 Kb memory capped when the games are running. I will continue to monitor though to see if this problem will recur. But so far, several reboots later, the problem has not returned.

Maybe someone from the development team noticed this and quietly fixed it over the past week? One of the recent DAT updates must have fixed this because I still have this problem occuring as recent as last Friday. So, the fault lies with an older DAT I suppose, not the MSC version itself.

Anyway, thanks to Peacekeeper and Selvan again for both of your efforts. Perhaps you guys can relay and highlight this case to the development team so they can take heed in future not to repeat this.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community