cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mccunney
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

McAfee Internet Security Window Partially Visible

The McAfee Internet Security Window (which displays whether your computer is secure and the status and features of the program) is only partially visible.  No close window button is visible, nor the drop down icon for the various program features.  The screen background is all white and only black text is visible.

Running Windows XP, Service Pack 3.

McAfee Virtual Technician reports no problems.

How can I get the McAfee Internet Security Window to properly display?

Message was edited by: mccunney on 1/7/11 9:16:05 AM CST
8 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: McAfee Internet Security Window Partially Visible

Hi mccuney,

Please let us know the version details of your internet explorer. If it happens to be IE 9 , try uninstalling it and you should be ok.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

mccunney
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I am running IE 8 (Version 8.0.6001.18702IC)

Message was edited by: mccunney on 1/7/11 12:21:34 PM CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Make sure XP is totally up to date in Windows Update using the Custom Option and using the Microsoft Updates option - which gets updates for all aspects of the machine.  There may be some optional browser updates in particular that are missing.

Try this:  open Internet Explorer and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced

Click Reset, Apply and OK.

Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and re-enable any add-ons you need as the previous exercise will have disabled them.

See if that improves matters.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "drop-down icon" - is your taskbar icon square or shield-shaped, if the latter the SecurityCenter displayed should look something like the attached picture, click to enlarge.

Is part of it blank or cut off the screen?  If the latter check your screen resolution and/or any special settings under Ease of Access in Control Panel as you may have inadvertently set your screen to magnify.

Capture.JPG

mccunney
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I tried the IE8 reset as suggested, but no change.  My McAfee window looks like this:

McAfee.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

Very odd indeed!  I'm wracking my brains here and the only thought so far is to right-click My Computer and select Properties.

You'll have to forgive me as I'm going from memory and don't have an XP system readily available to check right now.

In Properties go to Advanced and Performance > Settings > Visual Effects and check the item "Let Windows Choose What's Best For My Computer" click Apply and OK.

You may have to reboot... see if that helps.

If not then you might want to consult Technical Support Chat as they can access the machine to see what's going on if necessary.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

The only other things you might want to check are Java, Shockwave and Flash - make sure they are totally up to date too.

http://www.java.com/en/

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

If you download anything always check that's all you are downloading as both of those websites usually throw in toolbars or 'security scans' as a 'bonus' unless you uncheck the option.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/01/11 10:06:33 EST AM
ravengb
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Hi, have the same problem too. But mine I can see the window and background, but cannot see the texts. I have update IE 8 to 9 and since July and it was working fine until 2 months ago. My antivirus expired last week and I have installed 2012 and the problem persists. Should I do the same above?!?  Since I`m not using  IE, but Google Chrome.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

ravengb wrote:

Hi, have the same problem too. But mine I can see the window and background, but cannot see the texts. I have update IE 8 to 9 and since July and it was working fine until 2 months ago. My antivirus expired last week and I have installed 2012 and the problem persists. Should I do the same above?!?  Since I`m not using  IE, but Google Chrome.

Try all the tricks posted in this thread and if it persists then start a case with Technical Support.  It's now free by phone as well as online chat.   Linked under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community