cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcheli
Former Member
Message 1 of 44

McAfee Antivirus plus installation scans endless without coming to install program

Jump to solution

Hello,

today I tried to unstall McAfee Antivirus Plus (as test version),  but the first step scanning my Computer to remove potential risks does never end. I started installation before noon, went to shopping, had my lunch, made a sleep for two hour, read a book, watched a movie in cinema, made dinner, but home at 21 a' clock McAfee is still not starting installation. I cannot see any progress in installation routine. My Computer has Windows XP, SP3 installed, 1 GB memory and a 120 GB harddisk with 30 GB systempartition with the operating system, 60 GB data partitions and 30 GB Linux partitons, which are not visible to Windows without specific ext2/3 drivers, which I use.

McAfee Virtual Technician can also not be installed, it also comes to no end.

This is my first contact with McAfee Software, the first contact is mostly the properly and my meaning is "McAfee is shit". I know many other antivirus solutions, but this with McAfee is the absolutly GAU. I am just looking for a good antivirus program and HP tells me about McAfee as market leader, but this what the offer is for the paper basket. No help by Mail or telephone at weekend is also poor.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 44

Re: McAfee Antivirus plus installation scans endless without coming to install program

Jump to solution

Right click the file in explorer and choose scan is that what you asked?

View solution in original post

43 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 44

Re: McAfee Antivirus plus installation scans endless without coming to install program

Jump to solution

Hi mcheli,

Sorry for the Inconvenience caused. Please let us know if there are any 3rd party Anti Virus present in the computer perhaps you could post the Screenshot of Installed Programs list.

You might try to install McAfee in Safe Mode with Networking. I presume you are downloading the Installer from Online Account.

McAfee needs Internet Explorer 8 to render the UI hence make sure you have IE8 installed.

Kindly make sure Windows is upto date with recent updates to .NET Framework Components , Visual C++ Redistributable 2010

mcheli
Former Member
Message 3 of 44

Jump to solution

Hi,

there was Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 installed, but this 3rd party Anti Virus is removed completely from the computer (with many many problems and 5 days of work).

Unfortunately I don't have any desire to annoy me further on with McAfee software and its resulting problems. I just installed another 3rg party Anti Virus software (F-Prot), it works and installation needs just some minutes to complete.

I McAfee is further interested to become a new customer, they should remove the scanning previous to installation of Anti Virus plus, because scan seems not to be working. I just want to test the program and decide later to purchase. But now I'm no more interestet.

IE 8 is installed, .NET Framework 2, 3 & 3.5 is installed, Visual C++ Redistributable 2008 is installed. I preprosume, that McAfee Anti Virus plus installs all missing packages by itself; I don't like to trouble after this.

installed maxdata-b68bd68 120GB.JPG

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 15.03.14 18:07:45 CDT

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 15.03.14 18:10:25 CDT
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 44

Jump to solution

Hi mcheli,

I suspect that traces of Kaspersky might interfere during the initial stages of Installation. You might contact McAfee's Tech Support from here in case you wish to Install the Product.

Good Day..!

mcheli
Former Member
Message 5 of 44

Jump to solution

No, there are no more traces of Kaspersky. I cleaned it with kavremover  crashed with Blue Screen by trying to detete the "Kaspersky Lab" key in HKLM\Software, cleaned the registry manually with a linux boot cd and an linux based registry editor for the windows registry and finally I uses sysinternal autoruns to delete the last traces of Kaspersky. The couldn't be any traces, also hidden devices in device manager from avp (Kaspersky Lab) I removed by uninstalling them.

Thanks.

big_brother
Former Member
Message 6 of 44

Jump to solution

Hi,

When the McAfee Master Installer is stuck on checking for threats or cleaning threats.. try these steps

-As a first step try killing the process explorer.exe from task manager and restarting it

-If it does not work , cancell the installation by ending the task from task manager and then

1. delete temp files from c:\windows\temp and %temp%

2. Run th preinstall tool 

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe

3. Try installing again

mcheli
Former Member
Message 7 of 44

Jump to solution

Hi big_brother,

thank you, I will try install on my play area, an VirtualBox machine with Windows XP. McPreInstall.exe I had exectued, generated logfile is ok, but process hangs in taskmanager. I killed it manually. Just before I started the installation of McAfee Antivirus plus. I looks better, no I can see a progress bar. Thanks. Possibly I will do the same on the physical machine. How much time does McAfee installation setup need to perform the scan and removal of potentials risks on 5 partitions with size 50GB, 8,34 GB, 4,12 GB, 1,56 GB and 15,4 GB? Does McAfee scan support FAT32 file system or only NTFS?

Seems to be the same, endless scan without end. I terminated Install.exe with task manager, also stinger.exe and restarted McAfeeSetup-AutoLogin.exe, but now there comes up no application window. McPreInstall I started again, after quitting message about delete temp etc., I cannot see any further progress, but the programm is still running in task manager. Why this shit?

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 16.03.14 07:36:59 CDT

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 16.03.14 07:54:24 CDT

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 16.03.14 07:56:24 CDT
mcheli
Former Member
Message 8 of 44

Jump to solution

I made a reboot, installed Visual C++ Redistributable 2010, rerun installation of McAfee Antivirus plus, I saw a quick download of something else and a message to cancel something - so quick, that I could not react in time, and scan is now running again. I will wait one hour (going meantime to local election)  and see what happens after then with installation and scan. But I miss a serious user information from scan, only a wheel is to less.

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 16.03.14 08:24:16 CDT

I'm back again, installation works through. Solved!

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 16.03.14 08:50:34 CDT
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 44

Jump to solution

If I may chime in here on your posts in addition to using the McAfee preinstall tool listed earlier, it might be wise to also use the MCPR tool at the top of this page under Useful Links prior to attempting to install the software just to insure your installation goes as smoothly as it is expected to.

mcheli
Former Member
Message 10 of 44

Jump to solution

I'm disapointed about McAfee AntiVirus Plus. I remove Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, computer runs well and on low cpu load. Now with McAfee AntiVirus Plus the "McAfee On-Access Scanner" service "mcshield.exe" (from folder "C:\programme\gemeinsame dateien\mcafee\amcore") needs alone 20% CPU load and computer is very lethargic.

McAfee AntiVirus Plus did also not react on copying the EICAR testvirus-file from a network folder (my other computer) to the home directory and I found no possiblity to scan a single file with McAfee AntiVirus Plus.

on 16.03.14 10:37:12 CDT

McAfee AntiVirus Plus CPU load.JPG

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 16.03.14 10:39:50 CDT

Finally the McAfee AntiVirus Plus Firewall block SMB filecopy from another computer in home network to the system. Yes, I could deactivate this firewall and active the windows firewall, than copy works, but now I have always the silly message "computer is endangered"

Nachricht geändert durch mcheli on 16.03.14 11:01:38 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community