Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_153650
Former Member
Message 1 of 33

McAfee Anti Virus Plus Problems?

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right forum . . . but here goes.

I'm running Windows XP, service pack 3, using Anti VirusPlus.  My dat updates won't download, nor will the latest Security Center update.  I've had this problem twice already this month.  I've run MVT each time; both times it showed an Artemis server issue, but said it was fixed.  I still couldn'r receive any updates, either time, and ended up w/ McAfee support personnel both times.  With their help, the problem seemed to be temporarily fixed, but on the next update, I received a Microsoft Visual C+ runtime error, and once again nothing will update.

My Security Center (12.1.353)  is out of date, as are my Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware dat files.  Please point me in a direction to manually download/install the updates until the overall problem can be fixed?

Additionally, my Site Advisor button is once again gray.  😞   I'm pretty much convinced that this issue is related to my download problems this time.

Any help/advice will be much appreciated!  I just renewed my subscription, but I'm about ready to cancel it, as almost nothing has worked right since . . .

Thank you,

'LizBeth

32 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 33

Re: McAfee Anti Virus Plus Problems?

It sounds like you are having problems connecting to the servers.   Do other application update OK?

Is XP SP3 totally up to date, especially Internet Explorer?   (Should be IE8 and set to defaults).   McAfee and other processes use IE whether or not you do.

If you've already dealt with Technical Support I would have thought the best approach would be to go to them again and ask for escalation of the issue.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 3 of 33

Thank you for your reply, Ex_Brit.

Yes, my XP SP3 pc is up-to-date.  I checked it tonight to be sure, as well as IE (IE 8.0.6001.18702), I believe.  Everything else updates fine?

Re: Technical Support, all they've done thus far (both times) is uninstall and re-install my Virus Scan Plus.  This temporarily fixes the problem (for a day or so), but after that the problem arises again.  Thus my reluctance to go back a 3rd time.

Any other suggestions?  Or can you recommend a site to download the updates (for both Security Center and dat files) manually?  I'm a pretty unhappy camper right now . . .

'LizBeth

user_153650
Former Member
Message 4 of 33

P.S.  I forgot to add that in my Event Viewer, there are numerous warning messages re:  mfehidk, Category 256, Event ID 514:   **\SVCHOST.exe (all with various pids) contains unsigned or corrupted code and was blocked from performing a priveleged operation with a McAfee driver.

There are also some mfehidk warnings listed as Event ID 516,  **\MCSVCHOST.exe contains signed but trusted code and was allowed to perforrm a priveledged operation with a McAfee driver.

Could these be the reasons I can't update anything, and if so, how do I fix it???

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions you can offer.

'LizBeth

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 33

Well you can always re-contact Tech Support and ask for escalation.

When they uninstalled/reinstalled did they use some extra tools, VCFix, MCPR and McPreinstall - do you recall?

Is there any rival software onboard at all?   Have you been using any registry cleaners and have you been seeing any other unusual behaviour or had problems with other software?

SecurityCenter  no longer updates using DAT's, rather engine updates, so there is nowhere to download them from manually.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/08/13 9:07:29 EDT PM
user_153650
Former Member
Message 6 of 33

Hi again Ex_Brit,

Thank you for your reply.  Technical Support used the MCPR tool both times, and the McPreinstall tool the second time.   I don't believe they used VCFix either time.  What is VCFix, what does it do, and where would I find it? 

When I try to check for updates, McAfee says I have no internet connection, and the blocked connections attempts count has remained the same for almost a week in my Security Report. This is not normal, and something is definitely wrong, as I obviously do have an internet connection.

I have no rival anti-virus/anti-malware programs running, and haven't really had any other software problems other than McAfee.  The MS Virtual C+ runtime errors only came up after Technical Support got things temporarily working (both times) when McAfee tried to update, which is why I've had to go back to tech support twice already both times within a day or two.  Another reason I'm not too keen on the idea of going back again, as their "solutions" only lasted for a day or two.  In the meantime, I'm paying for a program that I'm not receiving any updates for, and putting my computer at risk.

I'm thinking of doing a System Restore to the last date that everything did work right.  If that doesn't work, my next step would be to delete/reinstall MS VirtualC+ programs, reinstall the Visual C+ 2010 Redistributable and it's associated SP1 update, and if that doesn't help, to configure my Win XP to run in a "clean boot" state to see if there is any conflicting software.  Other than that, and trying whatever VCFix is, I don't know what else to do.

I've been a loyal customer for over 10 years, but something isn't right with this picture when I have to spend several hours each day trying to fix what seems to be a McAfee problem.

Thank you for your time,

'Liz Beth

P.S.  You didn't address the mfehidk issues?  I don't even see mfehidk in my computer anywhere and yes, I have my folder options set to view hidden files . . . so what does this have to do with all of this???

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 33

Vcfix is a support toiol that fixes Visual C++ problems.   As far as Mfehidk goes I have no idea, support would though.

This is what was previously suggested to a user:

Check for malware using some tools listed in the last link in my signature below.  (Say Stinger and/or Malwarebytes Free)

Make sure all remnants of the old software are gone from Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program  (Add or Remove in XP)

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Run the VCFix tool

Unpack that zip and use the appropriate one for your system, x86 for 32-bit, x64 for 64-bit systems.   If in doubt what you are right-click Computer on your desktop or in your Start Menu and select Properties.  (For XP the x86 one)

Run the  McPreinstall tool

Go to your account and try downloading again.

You could try System Restore but make sure you right-click the McAfee icon and update immediately afterwards plus apply any Windows Updates.

user_153650
Former Member
Message 8 of 33

Ex_Brit,

I followed all of your directions above.  Unfortunately, the problem was not fixed.

I've spent  numerous hrs. over the past 2 days, either via online chat, or on the phone w/McAfee Technical support.  All to no avail.  😞

I did learn the problem, at least in part, was on my end, when my Windows Updates failed.  I have since re-set my modem, and the Windows Updates are now successfully installed.  🙂

I still can't install my Virus Scan Plus, though.  😞   One step @ a time, I guess.  I am in contact w/ Tier 2 Technical Support, if the issue continues.

Thank you for your help,

'LizBeth

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 33

That;s too bad.   The escalated support will hopefully get it fixed for you.  Good luck.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 33

Moved this to SecurityCenter as a more apt spot.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community