cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam8988378
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Maybe its the Security Center download?

I've had problems with McAfee Security Center v 9.3.151. First, the antivirus definitions wouldn't update. Then Spam-killer wouldn't update. I have uninstalled & reinstalled the Security Center 5-6 times (the last three using the McAfee uninstall tool) before contacting the live advisors (twice), who told me to 1)uninstall & reinstal again & 2)suggested I had a virus (not according to McAfee free scan, many other free scans, Windows Defender full scan). I used the virtual technician, which froze shortly after starting. I used the McAfee uninstall tool once again, then did an index search, deleting anything by the name of McAfee. I ran Reg 1st aid, had it search for Mc*, and it came up with 72+ entries (why didn't the McAfee uninstall tool get rid of these?) which I deleted. I uninstalled AdAware/Adwatch (which used to keep quicktime at bay), did a search and destroy for all its reg entries as well. I rebooted and rebooted, logged 20+ hours doing all of this. I reinstalled McAfee Security Center, and except for Antispam (gave up on that), after running the repair tool several times, it seemed to work. Still, Filemon says McUtil.dll is "not found" - why didn't it download with the rest of the program?-, and several dat-journal(s) get a "not found" as well (although I had the folder open, and saw one briefly appear, then disappear).
Eventually antivirus started updating. I gave up on Anti-Spam, & marked it ignore.

I've had the same problems that other people have posted about: antivirus shutting itself off, then doing the "you are not protected" message, and having to re-verify my subscription about 2-3x/week. Eventually (much repetition in clicking the fix button, which stops before anything has been fixed & the update button), the antivirus is updated.

Much of the advice is to uninstall and reinstall. As I've said, I've done this a number of times. How many times does a person have to uninstall and reinstall for the Security Center to be trouble-free? It's pretty time-consuming and stressful (will this time work? will I have time to do anything else today/tomorrow/the next day? how safe am I paying my bills online with the Security Center malfunctioning, and will it be working by the time my bills are due?).

The point is, what makes one uninstall/reinstall different from previous ones? Isn't it doing the same thing but expecting different results? Why are the downloads of the Security Center faulty? I've downloaded Security Center with Avant Browser & IE 7. No difference. I've done it with Windows Defender on and off. No difference. I use DSL (win xp pro sp3). It can't just be me, because many people are having problems. What is happening with the Security Center download?
5 Replies
Dewy49r
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

uninstalling and reinstalling continuously

I have a similar problem, almost every time I have a software update, lose power or just have to restart my computer I lose my subscription information. The security center pops up a warning "I am not protected" as soon as I open the security center and see no subscription information I know I will have to uninstall it and reinstall it. For crying out loud can't this program keep track of a simple thing as subscription information, its not like it has to change often sheesh. I am so frustrated with this problem that when my subscription expires I will not renew it I am fed up and I have 3 subscriptions. (don't like Norton so CA is looking better and better)

I went to online chat for help they don't have a clue either. First thing they ask is the date and time correct, well duh yeah. Second thing they do is tell me to uninstall and reinstall, dang and these guys are the experts. McAfee dosen't answer your emails to customer support either so don't hold your breath waiting for them to figure it out. I have had the 2009 Security Center since Febuary and have uninstalled it and reinstalled it so many times I forget. Since I live in California and San Rafael (McAee's HQ) is close I many need to go over there and stand on the sidewalk with protest signs lol.

A very disgruntled customer.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

RE: uninstalling and reinstalling continuously

Reg 1st aid gives me the first clue. A huge percentage of issues we see here are caused by the use of registry cleaners, so please stop-. They cause more harm than good.

First we need to know more information...

Please include the following information:
What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update? There are two ways of checking this. Go to Start/Run and type in winver then click the Enter key. Or, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu or on your desktop (or Computer in Vista) and select Properties.
Post what it says.
What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
silverhawk
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

registry cleans and defragmentors are really good..and McAfee should atleast have self product tamper protection like Norton and Kaspersky eset have..my father use Norton on his HP laptop and when we try to delete the registry keys associated with Norton..Norton just blocks and this thing i want in McAfee..may be if McAfee people would see this post..they may start thinking to include it in their next 2010 version..
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

Registry cleaners are NOT good, ask any expert on any of the major PC help forums. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, which the majority of people do not. They have a machine that isn't behaving as it should and run the cleaner thinking it will sort all the problems out, some even think it will clean viruses.
I have news for them.
The normal Windows tools for cleaning up and defragmenting are fine, although I prefer a commercial defragmenter myself.

I don't understand what you mean by Norton blocking this thing what you want in McAfee.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

At any rate this thread is old and belongs to someone else, so locking it. If anyone continues to have a problem and needs help, rather than just complain, please start your own "New Thread" in the appropriate area to the application or Security Center version you have installed.

Thank you.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community