cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramelung
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

MSDOS command line usage

Can someone direct me to a resource for running the various programs from the MSDOS command line and their command line switches? I have a scheduled batch file that runs bi-weekly maintenance on my system, including chkdsk and Acronis True Image backup, and would like to include a virus scan, general cleanup and updating.
Before I got rid of Norton, this has served me well with no user-intervention required.
I've Googled and searched these forums with no hits. Any leads would be appreciated.
I have the AT&T Internet Security Suite.
2 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

RE: MSDOS command line usage

Hi

By default McAfee will be scanning your computer for infection on every Friday morning. You may also schedule a scan according to your convenience by Schedule scan option under Virus scan (computer and files > click on configure option in the right panel>click on advance option under virus protection in enabled>Schedule scan)

Yes, McAfee do support this kind of option. Moreover, in order to find the exact exe file you will have to navigate to the following location:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\McAfee\VIRUSSCAN\mcods.exe
ramelung
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

mcods.exe gives no results

Bala,
Thanks for your response and regrets for my late reply.
I have tried three methods to start this program.
1. Using the Run command in the Start Menu
2. Typing the full path enclosed in quotes at the MSDOS command line.
3. A simple MSDOS batch file with the command followed by a PAUSE command.
I get no indication on the desktop, in my system tray, or in the logs that a scan is or ever was completed as a result. I have tried these methods with the scheduled scan enabled and disabled.

McAfee Virtual Technician indicates no problems with my installation. Scans do execute as expected when initiated thru the McAfee Security Center when clicked manually or when ordered to in Scheduled Scan.

Another curious condition is that Virtual Technician only completes its self-installation and then terminates when invoked thru Security Center. Only when I click on the shortcuts in my Start Menu does VT analyze my installation and reports no problems.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community