cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 71 of 81

Re: Latest update to Total Protection 2010 eliminates firewall settings and gets a "failure to create IDispatch" after PC scan

Glad it's confrimed our theories.

redhot
Contributor
Message 72 of 81

Re: Latest update to Total Protection 2010 eliminates firewall settings and gets a "failure to create IDispatch" after PC scan

Glary Utilities found these HKEY entries and I added them to my ignore list:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TskTCshm.CoMcTaskScheduler\CLSID\

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TskTCshm.CoMcTaskScheduler.1\CLSID\

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TskTCshm.CoMcTOC\CLSID\

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TskTCshm.CoMcTOC.1\CLSID\

Every since I did the I reinstall of McAfee, everything has worked just fine!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 73 of 81

Thanks for the input redhot.

user_50762
Former Member
Message 74 of 81

Yep, I found them four as well with Glary but right-clicked and added to ignore on next scan.  I didn't do a repair but on the next scan, they showed up again!  Do you have to deselect the entries as well or do a repair for the ignore to take effect??

redhot
Contributor
Message 75 of 81

T'ski,

Sorry ur having so much trouble. If u read my 1st post, I'd gotten the msg after stopping the McAfee. So I uninstalled it, but also had to uninstall the Ad-Aware as it has a virus checker (I unclicked it so it wouldn't scan for viruses) and McAfee didn't like it. Did what everyone else had to by running the MCPR and reinstalled everything. Did the scan with Glary, and found the entries and added them to my ignore list. I had previously, in trying to find the entries, did a restore from prior to installing the Ad-aware, then reinstalled as stated above. McAfee works fine, Ad-aware too, and Glary also.

I left feedback with Glary, but don't know how that went, as it probably wasn't the correct way to go about it.

user_50762
Former Member
Message 76 of 81

Did you do a repair after marking those entries for ignoring and/or deselect them?  I did neither and on a rescan, they show up again even though I selected them to be ignored.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 77 of 81

I would recommend to you all to stop using registry cleaners of any kind.  The marginal benefits that are mostly imaginary and extremely temporary if they happen at all, are more than outweighed by the disadvantages, namely the wiping out of necessary registry keys.

It isn't just McAfee that's effected.  The Internet is littered with tails of woe of this and that not functioning correctly and it often boils down to the use of registry cleaners and optimizers.  It took me a few years to learn that, hopefully others will.

Ad-Aware isn't recommended even with the antivirus portion turned off because that component can still interfere with McAfee's antivirus and actually weaken your defenses.

I've outlined some good free anti-malware utilities here: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

user_50762
Former Member
Message 78 of 81

This is my first "known" issue with a registry cleaner.  Ad-Aware on the other hand is as bad as a virus and as hard to get rid of also.  I had it on my old XP machine and it slow it right down every time it checked for updates and continued even when I removed it from the startup/services.  I had to reinstall it to uninstall it.  Will not put it on this PC.

New Dell on 11/18/10, twenty-two BSODs in six weeks and then discover that my memory was bad.  Dell replaced the memory on 1/3/11 and no BSOD since but I'm sure there are some issues left from that.

McAfee has never showed on the counter that it found anything till this reinstall.  Tracking cookies and PUPs quarentined when seleted/deleted would take forever or hang up.  That now works correctly.  This might be leftovers from my memory issues.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 79 of 81

I've set mine to ignore Tracking Cookies in Virus and Spyware Protection > Real Time Scanning

Capture.JPG

Plus if you ever have a problem deleting through the interface you could always delete the contents of the Quarantine folder itself.

Depends on your system where that is of course.

user_50762
Former Member
Message 80 of 81

Well,deleting through the interface should work.  What's your reason for unchecking tracking cookies?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community