cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henry-Root
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Lack of scheduling options

I have recently migrated from free AVG and Zone Alarm which were incompatible following an AVG programme update.

With free AVG it was possible to schedule a scan last thing in the evening and add an option to shut down the pc if no threats were found, or instruct to fix threats and close. This is not possible with McAfee. You have to be there to start the scan before you can add the shut-down option.

Similarly, it is not possible to schedule an update before the scan, which again is possible with free AVG. Why not? Perfectly good idea I would have thought.

Finally, Mcafee Security Centre drains resources by prioritising its own processes when first starting up your pc, which is not what I want. I usually have other priorities and would prefer to be in charge of scans and updates, not allow indiscriminate and untimely action by the lack of McAfee options to change default actions.

Unless I can solve all of these problems I will not be buying several more copies for other PC's, Macs and laptops. I will find an alternative that will work for me, not dictate to me how it will work.

Any help appreciated, as I have emailed McAfee tech team twice without any response, not even an acknowledgement. Poor service indeed. :eek::(:o

Has anyone else experienced and solved these problems, please?
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: Lack of scheduling options

I haven't noticed any activity when starting up myself. I guess it all depends on what applications are installed as part of SecurityCenter and what setup one has. For instance people have complained of high activity at startup only to solve it by storing emails in a folder other than Inbox...AntiSpam was scanning at startup.

As I also stated there Technical Support is linked at top left of this page and is best approached using the Chat client. I regret that their email responses are sadly lacking, something else we have complained about.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 4

Apparently your request may be partly solved with the advent of the new 2010 products.

The beta has this (shut down after scan) for full and custom and quick ONLY if nothing found

But you still can't schedule the update to occur just before.

They are in beta testing right now but it shouldn't be long before they are released and will appear as an update requiring a reboot.

**I have yet to verify that this is a fact.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

..and have verified it:

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community