Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Issues with Installing Updates

Jump to solution

I'm currently running McAfee Security Center 2013 on a 64-bit Windows 7 Dell laptop, and have run into an annoying problem regarding updates.

McAfee checks for, and downloads updates normally, but then the "installing" process doesn't happen. Usually, at some point I notice a little blue circle icon appear next to the McAfee one in the icon tray, and the message "Installing Updates" appears if I hover the cursor over it, but for the last three days, nothing happens at all after the updates have "downloaded".

I've tried waiting a while to see if its just being slow, but this doesn't help. Oddly, if I reboot and try again it works fine.

I was expecting to get some kind of "a program is still running" message before the reboot (assuming the update process was working in the background), but didn't.

I've run MVT and didn't find any issues.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 7

Re: Issues with Installing Updates

Jump to solution

Hi wixey,

Please try a manual update in Windows Safe mode with Networking and see if it works.

To login to Safe mode with Networking just Restart the machine and tap F8 key repeatedly until you see the Advanced Boot Options. Once seen highlight Safe mode with Networking and hit enter.

Open McAfee UI and check for updates. Post back the outcome..!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Not sure what to suggest in this case except a) make sure your system clock is accurate as that can cause anomalies like that and b) contact Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Ex_Brit,

The system clock appears to be okay. I tried checking for updates just now to see what would happen (knowing that there wouldn't be any new ones), and it hung on "Checking for updates" instead.

After a reboot, I got the usual message of being up to date after an update check.

I recently added HTTPS Everywhere and Disconnect apps to Chrome - I doubt this has anything to do with it, but as I've added them recently, and this has started happening recently, I thought I'd mention it.

One other odd thing: I sometimes update AdBlocker's filter lists while McAfee is updating, and it's usually fine about this, but if I try to update them while it's "hanging" I get  the message "Failed to retrieve this filter".

I wondered if it was some kind of server issue...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

I doubt those have anything to do with it but you never know.  I really don't know what to advise though.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi wixey,

Please try a manual update in Windows Safe mode with Networking and see if it works.

To login to Safe mode with Networking just Restart the machine and tap F8 key repeatedly until you see the Advanced Boot Options. Once seen highlight Safe mode with Networking and hit enter.

Open McAfee UI and check for updates. Post back the outcome..!

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

Thanks for the advice - I'll try this tomorow when I've got more time.

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi Selvan,

I've just run a manual update in Safe Mode with Networking and it worked fine.

The latest update is Security Center version 16.8.708 Engine version 1898.0

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community