cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 1 of 73

Internet security 2009 and product setup problem

I purchased Internet Security 2009 3 user licence edition here in the UK from Amazon, and purchased an identical product for my inlaws. Their upgrade worked satisfactorily on both XP and Vista platforms without any major problems.

The problem I have on my wife's very well established Dell laptop which has run Security suite software now for many years (previous version was Mcafee Internet security 2008), is due to the fact that I cannot use the product setup tool, as everytime the machine attempts it the "prcoessing activiation" screen starts but does not provide you with the ability to log in to your online account to verify the subscription. I am aware that if this does not happen then after 12 days the ability to continue downloading dat files ceases.

I have installed the mcafee technician...no problems. I have contacted the help desk in India now on two ocassions and each time their resolution has not solved the problem. I cleaned the internet explorer settings at their request back to original install condition. I even uninstalled with their supplied uninstall tool and reinstalled the entire software from the CD again, resulting in many many updates to get it back to an up to date condition.

The last suggestion to me by the technician on the "live chat" was that there was potentially a problem with the mcafee servers , and that I should try again tomorrow.

So currently I am sitting with a problem where I cannot update the product as it requires due to the inability to get a connection to my wife's already registered account , and there appears to be no suggestion as to when or if mcafee will resolve this server issue?

Anyone out there having similar problems, or can a helpful moderator do some checking for me with the mcafee team to see if they really do have problems with their servers or not, and if this is a known problem?

Thanks in advance for help
Labels (3)
72 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 73

RE: Internet security 2009 and product setup problem

The machine having the problem, what is its operating system, service pack and is it totally up to date with Microsoft Update, both for critical and non-critical items?

Any other protection software installed?

Have you tried the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 3 of 73

The machine is running windows XP, with service pack 3, and it is totally up to date with all updates from Microsoft and mcafee so far.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 73

I added some bits afterwards, sorry. Any competing software and have you tried an uninstall, cleanup and reinstall as above?

Also make sure that Internet Explorer is set to its default setting as follows:

If you are running Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click the Reset button. OK and exit, Reboot if asked. Re-enable all the add-ons via Tools/Manage Add-ons.

If IE6 - Tools/Internet Options..

General tab: clear cookies, history and temporary files
Security tab: set all zones to default
Content tab: disable Content Advisor
Advanced tab: set to default. OK and exit.
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 5 of 73

Thanks Peter.

I uninstalled all products using windows add/remove programmes originally. I also removed at a later time using the MCPR tool. I have reinstalled from CD as advised by the technician, but as I did not pruchase from mcafee online I cannot download from my account online as far as I am aware.

I have no competing products.

I have reset all the IE& settings as previously advised by the technician, which disabled a lot of addins and created a lot of unnecessary work to get my system back to it previous state, which should be unnnecessary when purchasing a software product like this.

The only thing I have not done from your list is to delete all folders in the explorer folders as you mention. Will this really make a difference.

I have been trying at intervals all day to register my product using the product setup feature and the ability to progress varies. Some times I have not got beyond the setup stage. Other times I have managed to input my wifes account details, only for it to stall. Some time I have seen a red error message saying "SERVER xxxxxx"....which I could only partially read as it was on screen only momentarily.

The fact that every time I try it gets to varying stages of completion leads me to believe that it is indeed a server problem at the mcafee end. IS there anyone who could confirm this before I attempt my 4th reinstall? If it were a problem with my machine why would it come back with a different stage each time of completion?

BTW...thanks for your help.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 73

Don't worry about those folders. If MCPR did its job then they wouldn't be there anyway.

One last stab before I call in the troops. See if the hint in post # 2 in this thread helps: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=225165
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 7 of 73

Thanks again Peter.

I did search the forum before I posted and found the thread you posted 🙂

I could not however find any such files on my machine in the C:/ as listed in this thread. I even searched the harddrive with wildcards invoked to try and find them...but to no avail.

If you are able to call in the troops I'd appreciate it. I have two other machines which have now expired which i am loathe to try this software on until I have fixed it on this machine.
Pete_123
Former Member
Message 8 of 73

I am now off to get 8 hrs sleep and will check the state of the mcafee servers again tomorrow when I rise.

I have logged a formal complaint with the email technicians, as the live technicians could say nothing more than to wait 24 hrs before trying registration again.

Thanks for your help Peter...I hope the troops you mention can attempt to explain why this issue is being encountered and offer some additional fixes or explanations.

If not then I may have to try other software, after many years happily working with mcafee.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 73

The registration process can take time.. you will be prompted to register within the next 2-3 days after getting updates....
happy
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 73

OK, I'll ask for help. These are some of the chat support agents that help out here.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community