Message 21 of 34

Re: Interesting Issue/Really a Pain

Sent you PM Kathiks.

axman
Former Member
Message 22 of 34

Ok Figured I would update this.

So Here is where things stand. I spent the Weekend Degausing the Hard Drives and ReInstalling everything. Not sure why or what happened ,but after the Remote Session the whole Comp Started acting weird. Stuff wouldn't run, McAfee Started shutting off and then turning back on, Drivers started getting corrupted or just disappearing, Etc.

I Told your Friend that this is what we experience anytime someone does a Remote (Which is why I hate them). Doesn't matter who it is or what they do - this is what happens - the Computer starts acting weird and the end result is a complete Degauss and Re Install..

However, This did show another issue. I have been talking to the Vendor for that. The issue it exposed was with our Mouse Driver, A specialty Setpoint for a Particular Logitech Mouse. Seems if we don't have Mcafee installed this Setpoint Driver works fine, we have Mcafee Installed the Setpoint Software Doesn't work.

Now this may seem to be unrelated to The issue I am having with McAfee - Except for 1 little hitch - The Forced Change in Event timers By Microsoft that is affecting all Software Makers, hence the updates needed to work with Windows 8.

Seems that certain Companies had been using a different timer, and the Change needed is causing some issues as Certain Event Timers aren't Sharable Resources.

I am Fairly Certain that this comes down to that Tiny Fact. The Forced Change From the APIC TIMER.

So given What we found out, I am going to get a Different Mouse By A different Company, Try running that software and see if the issue Resolves itself.

If so, I will post the Result here as well as the Conflicting Software/Hardware. And at that point the issue Still wouldn't be with anything I had or was doing, but rather a Conflict caused by an Update to McAfee.

It will kind of Irk Me though, if that is the issue. Mostly because I will have had to spend More money to Replace a Perfectly good mouse, to get around the Software Conflicts..

Anyway will let you guys know.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 34

It seems frustration hits everyone.  I'd just finished typing all of this and my PC froze, surprising with all its resources...Windows Update decided to take over.   So here goes again.   You mentioned Windows 8, only our beta software is compatible with that by the way.,

Make sure the Setpoint stuff has proper permissions in SecurityCenter > Web and Email Protection > Firewall > Internet Connections for Programs and use the Edit button if necessary to try turning off Net Guard to see if that helps.   Hint: You can arrange the items in that table alphabetically by clicking the word Program at the top.

Thanks for the update.   Now I have to go and reboot to satisfy MSFT.

axman
Former Member
Message 24 of 34

Well - After removing all Logitech Software from my computer, Replacing my Mouse with a microsoft one AND getting DAT UPDATE 6815 ---

I FINALLY have my alerts back..

I whish to note this though - A friend of mine just encountered the same issue I was having - He had just bought a New logitech Keyboard and Mouse - after removing the Logitech Setpoint software and all logitech drivers, he got his alerts back as well...

So, I guess I will never know WHY this happened, But I will know that In the future as long as I use McAfee - if I ever need to buy a new keyboard or mouse, I can not use any Logitech products as for what ever reason McAfee gets all weird and does not like them period.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 34

That; strange.  I've used Setpoint in the past and didn't have the trouble.  Pity you didn't open a case on it so that issue could be logged in investigated.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 26 of 34

Hi Steve,

It’s really a great information ! I can go ahead update this to the Engineering Team and let them know about the fix for this issue. Thanks for your Cooperation for being with McAfee for this case for a long time. Hope you have a great day ahead. Thanks,

axman
Former Member
Message 27 of 34

Karthiks - It is not really a "Fix" - it is more of a Workaround (albeit a better one than I had before). I shouldn't have had to Buy a New mouse, abandon using Any Logitech Hardware Just to be able to Use The McAfee Software.

I had no issue (nor did any of my friends) before the Update that Caused my Issue (and Theirs) using Any Logitech Devices and Drivers/Software. Now, I can't use any Logitech Devices, Drivers/Software - IF I wish My McAfee Software to Function Properly.

But yet I do.

So now I have to decide whether to Continue to use McAfee software and not use any Logitech Products (which by the way are great products) or Seek another solution that will allow me to use My Logitech Products.

So at this point it is what it is.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 28 of 34

Hi Steve,

I need to give you this information, it is not at all a problem with McAfee 11.6, because after I worked with your PC I also worked with other PC’s who has McAfee 11.6 version but they did not had the issue that you had before with the McAfee alerts. But as you said, the McAfee might have some incompatibilities with Logitech software but anyways I forwarded this workaround you posted to my McAfee Manager.

If it is a problem with McAfee 11.6 it should affect the customers who and all have McAfee 11.6 version but it is not, but we can find out what is the exact cause by collecting some logs from your machine as I said before. Thanks,

spoon25
Contributor
Message 29 of 34

Hello,

Since 5-10 days I'm having exactly the same problem as axman, with the lower-right corner of my laptop not usable for clicking from time to time. I also got a invisible button opening the Hackerwatch website and also doing some debugging (killing every single open application to discover which one is the source of the problem) McAfee is the source of the problem.

I'm now with McAfee SecurityCenter 11.6.385, Virus Scan 15.6.228 DAT 6819, Personal Firewall 12.6.172 and Anti-Spam 12.6.135.

4 days ago I also received an email from McAfee about a problem with my system and suggesting to run McAfee Virtual Technician: found 2 issues, a registry problem fixed by the tool and an outdate DAT file that I manually updated. Now the McAfee Virtual Technician doesn't report any problem anymore.

I just had a look at this thread and I also have a Logitech product, so this can maybe be the source of the conflict with McAfee. The difference with axman is that my system is a laptop and so the hardware didn't change in the last 24 months, even the Logitech product is the same as 2 years ago.

This mean there is a real issue with one of the last version of McAfee, so please try to find the problem and fix it as it's really annoying and choosing between my Logitech product of McAfee the one to remove I guess it's McAfee that will be removed (after 5 years using it).

Thanks

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 34

Actually might be worthwhile that kartkiks contact you to get some logs unless you have removed the drivers. They need these from users to compare to hardware setup in the lab. Would you be willing to help?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community