cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Policeman
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Installer Cannot Access Internet

I've read posts where people have this problem. I've tried all of the solutions that fixed their issues. Still no joy.

Out of the blue, McAfee told me I had to Fix problems. Then it said it couldn’t fix the problems and it instructed me to download a new copy. I downloaded DMSetup-Serial.exe and it throws an error:

Internet Connection Unavailable – We can’t download your McAfee software because we’re having trouble accessing the Internet. Please make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try again.

According to the McAfee Virtual Technician, there is one problem that McAfee cannot resolve and that is, “Unable to download files from McAfee server.” In the Diagnostic Log, two files are incorrect: Excluded Files Present
C:\Documents and Settings\...\Cookies\*McAfee*.*
C:\Docume~1\...\Locals~1\Temp\\*

…and three Systems are incorrect
Clear DNS resolver cache
Unable to download files from http://download.mcafee.com/products/...ivity_test.txt
Temporary internet files need to be deleted

I’ve opened four cases (each the same issue) with McAfee in hopes of connecting to an online Tech, but the GoToAssist program (the chat app) seems to be stuck initializing. So here I am.

Other things I've tried...
<> Cleaned out cookies, Temp Internet Files, and all temp folders. I have 3.6 GB of space left. I’ve even reset the IE settings to default.

<> Run both superantispyware & malwarebyte’s programs. They found nothing.

<> Edited the hosts file to include the following…
69.299.33.21 bin.mcafee.com
120.30.243.19 nai.com

<> Entered Safe Mode and deleted the C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\DAT directory contents.

<> Removed all checkmarks from my LAN Settings in IE7 and even downloaded IE8.

As McAfee is my firewall and virus software, I’ve done all of the above both with AND without Windows Firewall enabled.

System: Lenovo R61 laptop running Windows XP SP3

I obviously have Internet connection. What could be causing McAfee to think otherwise? (BTW, on a different PC in my house, McAfee is working perfectly!)

Any help greatly appreciated!
15 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 16

RE: Installer Cannot Access Internet

Hi,

Can you check if you are using proxy connection for the internet (Open internet Explorer-click tools-internet option-click on connection tab- click on LAN setting- make sure use proxy connection is unchecked)?

Steps:
Ping the Downlaod.mcafee.com and post the IP address you get (Start-Run-type CMD- ping download.mcafee.com)
Reset the Internet Explorer setting (internet Explorer-click tools-internet option-click on Advance and Click on Reset
This may also happen if you’re computer is affected with Malware or Root-kits .we have to scan the computer for infection Run the free versions (Malware) tool: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php clean anything it detected. Please follow steps and update us on the status
Policeman
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Thanks, Bala. My LAN settings are all unchecked. I've reset my IE settings too.

From the ping, I get 96.17.111.27. My machine has been swept by both superantispyware & malwarebyte. I've even freed up space and defragged to get 8.2 GB free.

Kind regards.
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 4 of 16

Hi,
Are you using laptop? If yes, Please try to connect to different network and let me know if you are able to update the McAfee. This issue may occur if we have the issue with third party software installed in the computer basically Norton or AVG product trace installed in the computer or If we have the issue with internet connection.

If the issue persists I would also recommend you to check with a McAfee technical support chat department for further trouble shooting steps http://service.mcafee.com/ServiceSel...S&pt=1&st=CHAT
Gireesh
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Hi,

You may also try the following steps:-

1, Open Internet Explorer > Click Tools > Click Internet Options
2, click on the ‘Advanced’ tab.
3, Navigate to the security section (Bottom of the list).
Deselect ‘Check for server Certificate revocation’.
Deselect ‘Check for publisher’s certificate revocation’.
Deselect ‘Check for signatures on downloaded programs’.
4, Click “Apply” and then “OK”.
Policeman
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Thanks Gireesh. No luck.

Bala, I am using a laptop. I tried plugging it directly into my router (no joy), but will have to venture outside the home to find another network.

Lenovo laptops are packaged with standard ThinkVantage tools, but none of them are antivirus programs. I'm not using anything else (such as Norton).

Also frustrating is the inability to chat with McAfee using GoToAssist. I've logged 4 cases (each the same issue) in hopes that GoToAssist would eventually stop "Initializing." It never connects. I fear my only remaining option is to use the phone support.

Unless anyone else has any other ideas?
Policeman
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I should also add (to a previous post of mine ) that my ping request recognized the IP address but failed to connect to it.
Policeman
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

And one more thing... I tried running DMSetup-Serial.EXE from my desktop PC, connected to the same network. It made it further into its process, asking me for the product serial number. My laptop never got that far.

Sounds like an issue connecting from my laptop, either wired or wireless. Something is preventing the connection to the one address. Can I make any sort of exceptions for a specific IP, such as trusted sites?
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

Hi,
Have you test with windows advance boot up option (safe mode with networking).
It sounds as we might be having the issue ISP for this laptop. Check if you are able to download the windows update in the computer.
you can also perform the McAfee Virtual Technician in computer and post the session ID http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/default.asp
Policeman
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

First, I took my laptop to another network and no luck. I returned home and booted up in Safe Mode with Networking and still could not access the Internet for the setup program (all other Internet access was fine).

I repeat my statement from my original post. The McAfee Virtual Technician tells me the following in its log...

In the Diagnostic Log, two files are incorrect: Excluded Files Present
C:\Documents and Settings\...\Cookies\*McAfee*.*
C:\Docume~1\...\Locals~1\Temp\\*

…and three Systems are incorrect
Clear DNS resolver cache
Unable to download files from http://download.mcafee.com/products/...ivity_test.txt
Temporary internet files need to be deleted

Something is prohibiting me from accessing this site. With no firewall in place, what could block it? It's not my home network since I can get there from my other PC. Is there a way to override it with a trusted IP or perhaps a Windows Firewall exception?
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community