cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHIP1
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Installation Problem

I am having issues also with re-installing my Mcafee, my system re-formattted itself yesterday and I could not bring up my Mcafee it came up with a blank screen,  possibly because the system origianlly had Norton, so I deleted my original mcafee and removed all of the norton anit virus I could find later. So I then went back to re-install my Mcafee and it would not download, I tried to get the vitual tech to come on and it would not complete that either.When I go to my account it keeps telling me that it is expired, however when we look at the date the expiration date is 31/10/11. I have done everything that the download has told me to do and it starts to load and goes through the whole process untill the very end when it tells me that it is downloading the soft wear installation files and then goes to Mcafee Softwear installation and then finally it says installation Incomplete.. It is not a connection problem as I am able to connect to Mcafee, so what else is there that I can do.I am operating with Windows 2000 cable connected to a modem, so I would appreiate any other help you can tell me to do, not to savy about computers but with a little help I can get there.ship

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Installation Problem

SHIP1 wrote:

I am having issues also with re-installing my Mcafee, my system re-formattted itself yesterday and I could not bring up my Mcafee it came up with a blank screen,  possibly because the system origianlly had Norton, so I deleted my original mcafee and removed all of the norton anit virus I could find later. So I then went back to re-install my Mcafee and it would not download, I tried to get the vitual tech to come on and it would not complete that either.When I go to my account it keeps telling me that it is expired, however when we look at the date the expiration date is 31/10/11. I have done everything that the download has told me to do and it starts to load and goes through the whole process untill the very end when it tells me that it is downloading the soft wear installation files and then goes to Mcafee Softwear installation and then finally it says installation Incomplete.. It is not a connection problem as I am able to connect to Mcafee, so what else is there that I can do.I am operating with Windows 2000 cable connected to a modem, so I would appreiate any other help you can tell me to do, not to savy about computers but with a little help I can get there.ship

I moved you to your own thread.

It's possible that you have IE9 beta installed and as McAfee relies on a working copy of the latest non-beta version of IE set to default settings, you should uninstall it and try again.

See:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1779

Edit:  Just re-read your post - Windows 2000 is not supported either by Microsoft or McAfee any more as it is obsolete.   However, users have found that the old 2009 software will still install.  Not sure if that could also be a contributing factor.

If I recall the 2000 had to be SP4 at least.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/11 11:25:02 EST AM

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/11 11:25:20 EST AM
SHIP1
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Sorry my bad its windows xp, as for IE I am not sure what that is but I had installed Mcafee before on this computer so it should still be able to load shouldn't it.And Mcafee security scan plus ( the free scan ) installed, so what do I do now. I would hate to cancel my subsciption but if I can't load it, then it comes down to I am paying them for nothing and I even tried to re-new my subscription till 2012 and then tried again to download and still not able to.ship

Is there a phone number that I can conact as virtual is not an option and I do not think I should have to pay for this, thanks

Message was edited by: SHIP1 on 25/01/11 10:48:07 CST AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Ah, then make sure it's XP SP3 - right-click My Computer either on your desktop or in the Start/All Programs menu and go to Properties, it will tell you there.

To check IE open it and then go to Help/About.

Try setting Internet Explorer, which should be version 8, to default by going to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and clicking Reset

Click Apply and OK

Close and reopen IE

Go to Tools/manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons.

See if that helps.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Customer Service for Canada:  http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1  (Account issues and other non-technical questions)

Technical Support for Canada:  http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS  (Free online chat support at all times, or free phone support if within 30 days of purchase).

(Also linked under 'Useful Links' at the top of this page).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/01/11 12:01:29 EST PM
SHIP1
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your help, I ended up calling in and spoke with a tech after re-newing my membership again so the call was free, ( why spend more later and save myself some money now and this way I am good for 21 months instead of 9 )  after that they sent a removal tool and that helped take out any old traces of the old Mcafee and I was then able to re download the program on to my system. thanks anyway for the help.ship

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

So all is well now I trust.  That's good.

All the best.

SHIP1
Former Member
Message 8 of 8

thanks Pete.ship

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community