Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wjohnc
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

IS 2009 not connecting to Internet

Hi,

I just purchased McAfee Internet Security 2009, and installed it on a friend's computer for her birthday. It seemed to install fine, but to update or register I get this message:

"An unexpected error has occurred.
The registration process has experienced an unexpected server access error. You will be automatically prompted to register once again when a product update is available."

I can connect fine using Internet Explorer 7.

It's an XP machine that was just formatted.
It's using a wireless LAN connection (there is no hard-wired option here in Canada's wilderness, 6 hours from the nearest "city").

Working in Safe Mode made no difference.
I tried the trick of disabling / enabling the Add-ons in IE 7, it didn't work.
I've reinstalled the software from discs bought at Costco.
The tech help phone line tells me I need to pay for the service - forget that!
I tried the Virtual Technician, which says the DAT needs to be updated (but 77 works fine as I understand).

What now?

JohnC
Tags (1)
1 Reply
wjohnc
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

update

After no responses here on the forum, and a ridiculous lack of support from McAfee, I've decided to cut my losses and stop fighting with the damn thing - I'm uninstalling it and putting on Spyware Doctor with Antivirus from PCTools.

Thanks everyone,

JohnC
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community