cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dharmafool
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

I want to renew, but --

I am running SC 8.0 and need to renew soon. I see a McAfee "Total Security" product available for $39.95, while SC 9.0 is currently $69.95 for one year. I need protection for only one computer, and I figure I will upgrade to a new computer in less than a year. Should I renew and get Security Center 9.0 or go with Total Security and save $30?

Thanks
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: I want to renew, but --

Where is the $69.95 item from? If it were my choice I'd go with Total Protection for 50% off at $39.99 valid for 3 PC's.
http://home.mcafee.com/Default.aspx
dharmafool
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Ahh, I'm seeing the setup now. The system I'm running (which is actually version 9.3) comes through Dell Computer. I guess it's "optimized" for Dell machines. As best I can tell, Dell's McAfee site doesn't make the Total Protection product available to me as a renewing customer.

I guess I'm confused about whether it's risky for me to move from Security Center to Total Protection. Should this be a seamless conversion if I download? Do I uninstall Security Center first?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Dell and other suppliers rename and rebrand McAfee for their own purposes but the drawback with using their protection is that you may not get the latest available until quite a while after it's been released by McAfee to the general public.
I would subscribe directly with McAfee if I was paying and had the choice.

If you do choose to switch I would uninstall everything and use the cleanup tool, linked in my signature (MCPR), reboot and then install.
dharmafool
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thank you, Peter, for straight talk and excellent assistance.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

You're welcome.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community