cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bres3000
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

I thought "Major Updates" implied IMPROVED functionality?

Since the recent SecurityCenter 10 Update (the one that created the new "Shield wth the 'M' in it" Icon in the Task bar) I've had nothing but grief.

Previously, the whole "downloading/installing Updates" was cludgy and it hogged resourses (my other Appz and my Browser commonly displayed "Not Rresponding" until the McAfee update was complete.)  Well, NOW after the new "Update" that just got a LOT worse.

As for "Virus Scan in Progress" after the "Update" not only does the process hog resourses to the point of freezing out other running Appz like the "downloading/installing Updates" does, but NOW a Scan takes FOREVER.  The two I monitored took between TEN and ELEVEN HOURS each to complete!  I am completely serious.

For me, this is unacceptable.     Is a NEW Version of MCPR.EXE required to remove all traces of McAfee Security Center/Anti-Virus now?  Anyone got a link?

Thanks.

7 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: I thought "Major Updates" implied IMPROVED functionality?

Not sure if your computer prompted you to reboot after the update installed or not but I always make it a habit to reboot anyway. Maybe when your update downloaded you had some corruption that might have occurred. If you want to try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs then reboot, The MCPR removal tool is found at the top of this page under Useful Links. Run the MCPR and reboot again. Then login to your online McAfee account and download your software. Let us know if you continue to have any issues.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 8

Can you post what files are chewing up the memory and cpu cycles? We have several reporting mcagent and mcshield memory use way up the scale.

bres3000
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Peacekeeper wrote:

Can you post what files are chewing up the memory and cpu cycles? We have several reporting mcagent and mcshield memory use way up the scale.

I did a quick "test" to get some data.  Bear in mind this is from the first five minutes of a Scan - I'm not sure if the numbers pretty much stay like this as the hours pass or if they go up significantly.

IDLE (No Scan running) -

idle1.jpg

Scan Running -

scan2.jpg

Hope this is somehow useful!

Message was edited by: bres3000 on 5/30/10 10:18:49 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 8

What email client are you running. Also when scanning ensure use minimal resources is not selected.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/05/10 4:55:52 PM
bres3000
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

Peacekeeper wrote:

What email clent are you running. When scanning ensure use minimal resources is not selected.

MS Outlook but I don't leave it open.  I usually get lazy and just read new mail with Cox Webmail.  Why do you ask?

As regards "use minimal resources is not selected," that would be an option where?   I'm not sure I follow....  Minimal Resources used = slower speed?

It seems likely that if I opted for the use of more resourses to speed up Scanning I may as well not run anything else since the "Not Responding" ghost would become more prevelant.   Did I mention that while Scanning, when I "Right-Click" anywhere I often can see only the outline of the "Box," and no "Menu?"

bres3000
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

k3tg wrote:

Not sure if your computer prompted you to reboot after the update installed or not but I always make it a habit to reboot anyway. Maybe when your update downloaded you had some corruption that might have occurred. If you want to try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs then reboot, The MCPR removal tool is found at the top of this page under Useful Links. Run the MCPR and reboot again. Then login to your online McAfee account and download your software. Let us know if you continue to have any issues.

Yes, it DID prompt me to reboot, which I did.   Checking manually, it says my Updates are up-to-date.  I know of no way to verify that they were free of corruption, right?

Here's the thing: if I continue to have issues, the Uninstall/MCPR will precede the installation of a non-McAfee security suite.  No disrespect intended.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 8

No disrespect taken but  sometimes an uninstall/reinstall fixes all your issues. I have seen it over many versions over past 8  years. As Tom mentioned use the MCPR tool to remove everything reboot then reinstall.

the email client we think may affect the memory use for some files 4 posters mention it but it appears yours is fine wrt memory use.

The use minimal resources is  in the scheduled scan settings page and the custom scan page. If selected it will scan slower. You haven't any large amounts of zipped files? Those slow it (the scan) down.

BTW a reinstall could give you the 10.5 version that has several bug fixes I assume you are on 10.0.580 or thereabouts.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/05/10 5:03:33 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community