Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardsjl
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

I'm Stuck - Looking for help

Jump to solution

Hi, I sure would appreciate any advice.   Over the weekend my computer stopped allowing access to the Internet (internet was and is ok).  I did a restore which gave me access again, but when I did a restart I lost access. I did a full McAfee scan and nothing was detected; ditto for Malwarebytes. 

I have a wi-fi router, and my daughter said that her computer did not have access either.  Then we discovered our Playstation connection to Netflix gave an error (something about DNS).    I have one computer still accessing the internet and will not restart it.

( I have looked at the Virus/Malware page and tool the require downloading, but I can't download to a specifc computer with the problem because they cannot see the internet.)   

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Re: I'm Stuck - Looking for help

Jump to solution

@Richardsjl : Could be. Something happened with an update that came out a few days ago and no-one knows yet what caused it. The latest update seems to have undone some of the problems so maybe they went back to the earlier working version (which would be sensible). Doug Richards put the message up, kudos to him for thinking of us poor users (maybe he hit the problem himself and realised it was more than just his local connection playing up).

If you've got DAT 6809 installed you should (fingers crossed) have no more problems. Famous last words ...

View solution in original post

9 Replies
moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Read through this post - it may help you

Mcafee Internet Security - can't check for updates - https://community.mcafee.com/message/251943#251943

Dave

richardsjl
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the quick response. 

I am using my work computer and the link you sent takes me to an error page "Internet Explorer Cannot Display Web Page". 

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Doing the same here - it must be the way the forum is set up ??

Go back to the forum's index, and the post is "Mcafee Internet Security - can't check for updates "

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

The underlying HTML behind the link shows as "https//community.mcafee.com". There's no colon after "https" so the DNS lookup fails.

The correct link is still https://community.mcafee.com/message/251943#251943

richardsjl
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks very much -

I just found McAfee's warning that says   "some customers may experience a loss of network connectivity and/or errors in McAfee Security Center after a recent update". 

Do ya think this is the problem??!! 

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Hayton ..... thanks for that, don't believe that I didn't notice it - doh !!!!

richardsjl - sounds similar to this one, but look thro some of the otehr recent ones also

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

@Richardsjl : Could be. Something happened with an update that came out a few days ago and no-one knows yet what caused it. The latest update seems to have undone some of the problems so maybe they went back to the earlier working version (which would be sensible). Doug Richards put the message up, kudos to him for thinking of us poor users (maybe he hit the problem himself and realised it was more than just his local connection playing up).

If you've got DAT 6809 installed you should (fingers crossed) have no more problems. Famous last words ...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Acutally I put the message up and several hours later Doug emailed me that he was 'taking it over' - to make it look official I guess.

richardsjl
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I will work on it when I get home.  Unfortunately, I thought I had a much worse problem (virus across all computers) so I blew away my computer yesterday and started to rebuild it.  Oh well, just one of those things.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community