cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrencew
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

I keep being unprotected warnings

I believe I might have a similar problem to others, but I will describe it in case there is anything that is unique.

Every other night (or every night) I am getting the warning that my computer isn't protected. It says that Email, internet, computer, files, are not protected.

The computer grinds to a halt, and when I eventually get to click on fix, the computer grinds to a halt again for 15 minutes and then says it is unable to fix it. No matter how many times I click fix it never does and the only solution is to reboot, after which everything is fine until a day or so later when the problem starts again.

I have tried some of the suggested remedies of reinstalling, looking for spyware etc. It has made no difference so far. (and no problems were found)

I noticed tonight that this problem occured immediately after the mcafee tray icon was showing it was installing software - presumably after an update.

I also notice that most (every?) time it happens I get a log entry saying that "real-time virus protection was enabled". I am presuming this is following the download of the update.

I am running Windows Vista

SC build 9.0.295
Virus scan build 13.0.218

Any suggestions - other than the obligatory reinstall...
Tags (1)
4 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

try running MVT

Hi,

please run MVT when mcafee shows that it's not protected and please post the session ID here so we can check as well... click on the mcafee virtual technician link in my signature to run it...
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

sorry to butt in..

I have tried some of the suggested remedies of reinstalling, looking for spyware etc. It has made no difference so far. (and no problems were found)

how did you uninstall/reinstall mcafee? is it manually using add/remove programs in control panel? or you did it this way? click here!
lawrencew
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

RE: sorry to butt in..

Thanks guys. I will keep a look out and next time it happens run MVT.

FYI, I just ran it now (whist SC reports everything is protected) and it reported no problems.
Dennis_Allen
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

RE: sorry to butt in..

did you happen to get the session id?

if yes, kindly post it..;)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community