cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_80514
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

I can't get McAfee Internet Security to activate

I've seen a few of these thread knocking around but unfortunately I've tried the recommended advice and had no luck. Essentially, I had to reset my netbook to factory settings and it came with a small subscription to McAfee Web Essentials on it. Once that expired I downloaded the remaining license for Internet Security I had and tried to install it on the netbook. It seemed ok and then complained that it had been unprotected for 3 months.

So, I uninstalled McAfee entirely. Redownloaded the license again (which I noticed was still there, making me think it hadn't even taken) and did a full reinstall. The netbook seemed happy so I did a full scan and switched it off for the night. I've turned it on this morning and low and behold, it claim to have been inactive for 3 months, the Activate button won't do anything, and my license copy is still intact on my account. I ran Virtual Technician which told me everything was fine. Sadly, it's not.

Any ideas?

Message was edited by: ant.aja on 02/12/11 05:33:42 CST
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: I can't get McAfee Internet Security to activate

When you try uninstalling/reinstalling you should always use the normal method of uninstalling via Control Panel first.  Then if necessary to make sure it's a clean uninstallation run the MCPR cleanup tool, see Useful Links at the top of this page.  Reboot and try the installation/activation.

Regardless of your choice of default browser McAfee relies on an up-to-date and fully functioning Internet Explorer, so try the following - you don't have to set IE as the default if you don't want to but it might help for this exercise:

Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK.   (If system is 64-but use the 32-bit version of IE - both versions are shown in Start > All Programs)

Close and reopen I.E. and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any add-ons you need.

Close I.E.

Try to activate again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/12/11 7:06:29 EST AM
Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Hi ant.aja,

Kindly let us know the below details ;

What is the operating system of the PC?

Did you run the McAfee removal tool prior to the reinstall ?

Were the programs installed from a CD or from the web ?

Regards,

user_80514
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Hello Dinesh, well sadly I wans't aware a removal tool existed, I guess because I've never had to uninstall the programs before. The program was reinstalled from the web, but orignally from a CD when I did a factory reinstall. The OS is XP Pro.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community