cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_62735
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

I can't find "VirusScan Console"

Hello. I'm a McAfee user, and as of late, I've noticed that someone else had a McAfee feature I do not have. Me and that person live in the same house, so we share a McAfee plan. We both pay for the same version of McAfee.

What he had was something called the VirusScan Console. It seems to be where you can update McAfee from, where the firewall settings are, and where you can manage virus scans etc.. On my computer, all I can access under McAfee on my Start menu is "On-Demand Scan" and "On-Access Scan". I also noticed he had a McAfee icon on the bottom right-hand corner of his screen, next to the time and Volume settings and such (hopefully you know what I'm talking about). I do not have a McAfee icon there.

I'm afraid I may not be receiving what I pay for. Is there any way I can get VirusScan Console anywhere without having to pay for it again?
12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

RE: I can't find "VirusScan Console"

Try double-clicking the taskbar icon over by your clock, or right-click it and select "Open Security Center". It may be hidden according to your taskbar/Start Menu settings.

Alternatively click the McAfee Security Center item in your Start Menu/All programs.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

By the way, the Enterprise (Corporate) product also has a "VirusScan Console" so it could be a different product from yours.
user_62735
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

The only two things under McAfee on my Start Menu/All Programs are "On-Demand Scan" and "On-Access Scan" 😞

And there's no Open Security Center on my taskbar.
user_62735
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Oh, I see. That makes a little more sense. But, do you know if I should have more than just "On-Access Scan" and "On-Demand Scan" ??

Thanks
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

I've no idea. Where do you get your McAfee protection from - please give the website URL? If you can open Security Center then click "About" and it should tell you what products you have.
user_62735
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

To be honest, I forget where I got McAfee from. I'm pretty sure it was from the McAfee site though. Isn't that the only place you can really get it?

And, I'm not trying to be rude, but the whole reason why I have the post up is because I can't find anything like a Security Center. I'm confused as to why I don't have anything like that, since I purchased a legit version of McAfee. I was just wondering if there was a place I could get the Security Center or VirusScan Console (or whatever it's called).

I know I'm probably not being a lot of help, but this whole situation is really confusing me, and I really don't have a lot of places I could go for the kind of information you're asking me.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 13

OK it sounds like your installation is corrupted so try this...

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.
user_62735
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully this works, haha.

Now I just gotta go looking around for my McAfee account.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

If you can't locate your account try the Customer Service link at top of this page, second from the left. Either the Chat or the Phone links.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community