Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
echo
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

I am not protected ?

Jump to solution

I have been using McAfee for about 5 years with no problems it came with my DELL PC - Vista home,  a couple of weeks ago I had to do a DELL restore which puts the PC back to the condition that it was in as new (I have done this before with no adverse affects) not thinking I inserted the McAfee installation CD no problems until a couple of days ago now I get the message that “I am not protected” which is wrong as it is still doing auto scans. I have checked my McAfee account and it shows that I have two products installed one has expired and one is active which kind of makes sense so how do I uninstall the expired one and keep the active one?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: I am not protected ?

Jump to solution

Hi Echo,

I assume this is Vista Service Pack 2 and everything has been updated?  (You can check that by right-clicking Computer on your desktop or in the Start Menu and selecting Properties).  As McAfee relies on an up-to-date Internet Explorer regardless of your default browser settings, please make sure you have IE9 and that it and all its add-ons are up to date.

You need to install McAfee from your online account, not that CD, so uninstall whatever you have now via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program then run the MCPR cleanup tool from HERE, reboot and go to your online account to get the latest version (see 'My Account' at top right HERE).  Login there using your registered email address and password.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/11/12 7:27:49 EST PM

View solution in original post

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi Echo,

I assume this is Vista Service Pack 2 and everything has been updated?  (You can check that by right-clicking Computer on your desktop or in the Start Menu and selecting Properties).  As McAfee relies on an up-to-date Internet Explorer regardless of your default browser settings, please make sure you have IE9 and that it and all its add-ons are up to date.

You need to install McAfee from your online account, not that CD, so uninstall whatever you have now via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program then run the MCPR cleanup tool from HERE, reboot and go to your online account to get the latest version (see 'My Account' at top right HERE).  Login there using your registered email address and password.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/11/12 7:27:49 EST PM
echo
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Greetings and many thanks Ex Brit,  yes everything is up to date including McAfee when I check for updates.

I will follow you instructions and report back.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

OK good luck.  I'm about to sign off for the night so will talk Friday if needed.

echo
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Absolutely straight forward and fixed, thanks again for the cure and the quick turn around  

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Glad it's fixed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community