cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How does Mcafee interact with Virtual PC ?

Jump to solution

Hello ,

For a quick introduction , I have Mcafee Antivirus Plus on Windows 7 ultimate . I just installed Windows XP mode and Virtual PC and it is working fine . I am new in this field and don't know anything about security in Virtual PC .

In windows XP mode, it is stated no antivirus was found . How can I let my Mcafee product secure my virtual pc ?

Your help is really appreciated !

Thank you in advance ,

Leeeeeeelo .

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Re: How does Mcafee interact with Virtual PC ?

Jump to solution

That's a question that only Customer Service could answer really..  I would give it a try and see what happens.  You can always uninstall it.  Your machine is still protected anyway in your main OS.

I would be more inclined to use Windows Firewall and MSE as previously mentioned for antivirus protection as I hardly think XP Mode is going to be used constantly, although I suppose everyone's usage is different.

I installed it in my Windows 7 merely out of curiosity really as any software that runs on XP only can be run on Windows 7 in compatibility mode usually.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/05/10 9:51:34 EDT AM

View solution in original post

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Virtual PC is treated as a separate operating system and requires its own protection.  You could install McAfee in it or simply use something such as Microsoft Security essentials or similar.

Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello Ex_Brit ,

Thank you for your promp reply !

So I need to install my Mcafee product on windowx XP mode ? Will Mcafee consider it as an additional subscription ? ( an other PC ? )

For example , if I have a Mcafee product with 2 used subscriptions , will I need a third subscription to be able to install my Mcafee product on windows XP mode ?

Your help is really appreciated ,

Sincerely ,

Leeeeeeelo .

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

That's a question that only Customer Service could answer really..  I would give it a try and see what happens.  You can always uninstall it.  Your machine is still protected anyway in your main OS.

I would be more inclined to use Windows Firewall and MSE as previously mentioned for antivirus protection as I hardly think XP Mode is going to be used constantly, although I suppose everyone's usage is different.

I installed it in my Windows 7 merely out of curiosity really as any software that runs on XP only can be run on Windows 7 in compatibility mode usually.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/05/10 9:51:34 EDT AM
Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you again for your quick answer Ex_Brit !

I shall contact Customer Service for that . Thanks a lot for your help !

Have a nice day ,

Leeeeeeelo .

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Good luck.

iski1
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Did you get an answer from customer support about needing 2 subscriptions?

Did you try installing McAfee in both?

Thanks

Alan

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

iski1 wrote:

Did you get an answer from customer support about needing 2 subscriptions?

Did you try installing McAfee in both?

Thanks

Alan

iski1 I altered your user name to exclude your email address for your own safety and protection.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community