Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinGM
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

How To Contact Support

HELP !

I can no longer connect the PC to the Internet at all - I'm posting this from another PC.

I have tried uninstalling McAfee but, when I try to do that, Add/Remove programs just hangs.

As I cannot Chat on that PC, do you know the technical support phone number for McAfee in the UK ? When I try and connect to support from this PC I just get a blank screen :-((

Message was edited by: MartinGM on 10/10/12 15:23:20 CDT
12 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: How To Contact Support

Gave you your own thread as this has nothing to do with that fellow's problem.

Load the removal tool to a flash USB drive and then transfer it to that desktop and run it.   It's linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Customer Service will put you through....

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call us at 0800 028 7581.

Estimated wait time: 10-30 minutes

Hours of Operation: 09.00-18.00 local, Monday through Friday

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

Sorry about the mixup.   Continued from https://community.mcafee.com/thread/49140

Sounds very much like you have a virus.

Can you boot that machine to Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up?

If so try to initiate System Restore to before all this happened.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Sorry I thought this was a separate subject, too many distractions at home here.

MartinGM
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks.

As a start I'll restore the PC to an image backup made a couple of days ago when all was fine (I think !).

I'll post back with the results - tomorrow I expect.

Martin

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 13

OK good luck.

MartinGM
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Restored the PC to 2 days ago using an image backup, and turned offcAfee's automatic updates. All's well.

Took the latest McAfee update and PC screwed up again - there's nothing special on it in the way of software.

Restored again and all's well again.

Called support (thanks for the number) but was kept on hold for 30 minutes before I gave up.

Ran the Virtual Technician which found 39 errors, but after it had fixed them I cannot open various applications including Outlook.

Restored the PC again, and all's well again.

Have decided to dump McAfee - its not the first time that I've had problems like this - on several computers - and have installed an alternative.

Lovely side-effect - my PC is running like a greyhound.

Thanks for your help though.

Martin

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 13

That certainly is abnormal and indicates to me that either your system is sadly in need of updating or you have infections.   Often people think their machine is up to date but they forget to update parts of it they aren't using, for instance, Internet Explorer gets neglected when people use other browsers, but it and its add-ons are extremely important because various processes, including McAfee by the way, do use it anyway so it should always be kept up to date and IE8 for XP is the latest (IE9 for Vista/7 with IE10 for 7 in the coming soon).

I suggest running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free from the link in my signature below (last one) and if that fails to find anything run Hijackthis and post its log as instructed further down that document.

Regardless of the fact you've dumped McAfee it might be a good idea to do those suggestion anyway for your own peace of mind because I assure you the software shouldn't cause those issues.

MartinGM
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks Peter.

I regularly run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

I ran a McAfee full virus scan before taking it out - found nothing - and nothing shown up by Stinger or the Kaspersky root kit remover.

The PC is fully updated, including IE although I browse with Chrome.

I'll take a Hijackthis log to my favourite malware forum and post back.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

Well I certainly hope some, somewhere finds a cause for all this.  All the best. 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community