cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mojo43
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Help?

When McAfee is doing automatic updates, it slows my computer way down and sometimes freezes it up.  Today, it completely knocked me off a web site I was on.  Does anybody else have this problem?  What can be done about it?  I find their self help system totally useless.

5 Replies
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 6

Re: Help?

Hi,

Moved this to our Home and Home Office area. Hopefully someone can help you soon.

Mohan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Hi ,

McAfee Update that happens on a daily basis are very small and should not give any troubles to the computer or it's functionality. But this can happen if your computer is probably infected by Malware or has any other third party Anti-Virus software installed.

Regards,

Mohan.B

nigelle
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Hi Mohan thanks for your help, me too have the same problem but I stop do work in my system at the time of daily updates.

MaheshCJ
Contributor III
Message 5 of 6

Hi Guys,,

Firstly, I strongly recommend not to stop/ disable any of the McAfee updates.

The updates are very small in size and very important.. and It will not slow down the computer as Mohan mentioned.

I would like to know what is the configuration of the computer. And the operating system that you are using..

Check if the TIME and DATE on the computer is proper.

Open McAfee Security Center ( MSC ) by Double-clicking the M icon in your taskbar.

Under the Common Tasks menu on the left, click Maintain Computer.

In the McAfee QuickClean section, click Start

In McAfee QuickClean several cleaning tools are available

Recycle Bin Cleaner - Deletes items in your Recycle Bin.

Temporary Files Cleaner - Deletes all files in your temporary directory.

Shortcut Cleaner - Deletes shortcuts to folders or programs which no longer exist.

Lost File Fragment Cleaner - Deletes file fragments no longer associated with a program.

Registry Cleaner - Deletes registry keys no longer associated with a program.

Cache Cleaner - Deletes your web browser cache.

Cookie Cleaner - Deletes saved cookies.

Browser History Cleaner - Clears the list of web sites you have recently visited.

Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (sent items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Express Sent Items folder.

Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (deleted items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Express Deleted Items folder.

Outlook E-mail Cleaner (sent items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Sent Items folder.

Outlook E-mail Cleaner (deleted items) - Deletes the contents of the Outlook Deleted Items folder.

Recently Used Cleaner* - Clears the lists of recently accessed documents.

Properties to clear the list of recently accessed files for available applications.

ActiveX Cleaner - Deletes downloaded ActiveX installers.

System Restore Point Cleaner - Clears old system restore points.

Important : Check all the Above options Except :

Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (sent items)

Outlook Express E-mail Cleaner (deleted items)

Outlook E-mail Cleaner (sent items)

Outlook E-mail Cleaner (deleted items)

Else you might end up loosing your mails

Restart the computer.

See if there is any improvement..

Cheers

Merry Christmas.  !!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Moved to Security Center 9 as more apt for these questions.

What is the installed memory (RAM) on your machine and how much free hard drive space do you have?

Please include the following information:

What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update?  There are two ways of checking this.  Go to Start/Run and type in winver then click the Enter key.  Or, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu or on your desktop (or Computer in Vista) and select Properties.  Post what it says.

What McAfee products do you have?  Right-click the taskbar icon and select Open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window.  Post the details from each module.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/12/09 7:09:29 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community