cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joanjaco
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Help with Inbound Events and Unwanted access to my Computer

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out something. I have McAfee version 9. I have a Dell Dimension E521, with Vista. I do not have a router. My Internet provider is wireless broadband. I have an antenna on my roof, which gets it's signal from an antenna in town, ect. Before this I had dial up. Not long after I had the broadband installed I noticed the signal would slow way down - eventually found that others seemed to be accessing my computer - in other words when I would check "network" in Windows Explorer I would see other names appearing. I began banning the people who would appear in this and also set my Network and Sharing Center - Sharing and Discovery all to off. This seems to keep them off my computer. BUT in the inbound events - which I check often - I have a lot of different ones trying to access my computer. When I called my ISP they said without a router, there was no way a person could be getting in through the Internet. That it had to be through a phone line or something. I no longer have a phone line hooked to my computer. Anyway last week, my Internet provider was down for several days - I had no Internet at all. But when I checked my inbound events - for one day - in 24 hours, I had 275 inbound events. Why is this? Who is this? Do I have something set wrong on my computer or Internet? When I locked down the firewall - this did stop. But as soon as I would open it back up - they came back. Can anyone give me some advice or help on this.
4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

RE: Help with Inbound Events and Unwanted access to my Computer

You shouldn't worry about Inbound Events as they represent failed attempts.

However I would invest in a router if I were you because an unsecured wireless connection is risky to say the least. At least with a router you can encrypt transmissions so that others can't read what you are doing.

I would certainly look into some way of securing that antenna at least. How is your computer connected to it?

joanjaco
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your reply - yes I realize that inbound are just attempts - but have found when I find these "new" people trying to access - they often do get in - so ban them when I find them.

I will get a router - I was afraid that it would only make my computer more vulnerable.

I guess I still wonder where these "attempts" come from when my Internet provider is not even working.

I had my Internet professionally installed by their rep. The antenna has a wire coming down into my basement which connects to a box and then a wire running up to my computer. Sorry don't know much more about it. I might add my son who lives in a different town has the same problem with the same ISP.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

A router usually has its own built-in hardware firewall which, when correctly configured, would render you invisible to the outside world.
silverhawk
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Why are you worrying..? McAfee automatically blocks all intrution attempts and other unauthorized access to your PC..McAfee firewall is enough in protection even if you do not have a router..but router has it's option to encrypt and other things..so a router is good investment for wireless unsecured networks...but remember till you have McAfee installed and working with firewall ON, you do not have to worry..!!

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64; McAfee Total Protection 2009; Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40 GHz; 8 GB RAM; Intel G35; 500 GB SATA 2 HDD Western Digital

Windows 7 RC x64; McAfee Total Protection beta
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community