cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john-doe
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Help please with updates

Can someone please help me with update issues.I bought a new lap top which had McAfee
free trial already installed.When this trial ended i bought on disc Internet Security 2009 and went through the install procedure,things were ok for a few weeks until i got a yellow
circle on the McAfee icon saying my computer wasnt protected.I have uninstalled McAfee
numerous times and reinstalled which helps for a week or so but then back to the yellow circle appearing.Please can anyone explain in easy to understand as im not to clued up on
computers as to what i need to do to fix this.
11 Replies
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

RE: Help please with updates

hi,

when you see the yellow circle what information does mcafee show? is it signature files being out of date? or some components being disabled?

if you encounter the same yellow exclamation point try to check what components of your security center are affected and the information provided as it will greatly help a lot in trying to troubleshoot the issue...

better yet run the mcafee virtual technician in my signature and post the session ID here.
john-doe
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Any advice on how to remove the free trial version of McAfee that was installed on my
laptop.I have tried numerous times now to remove everything that relates to McAfee,also
was in contact with customer support and they gave me a removal tool.

When i reinstall by downloading a version of McAfee Internet security 2009 which i have
a subscription for and check my account the free trial is also still there.I tried running the virtual techniction which says eveything is ok.
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Hi,

for home products the removal tool of mcafee should be enough. the process would be:

1. run the removal tool (linked in my signature)
2. download and install the mcafee internet security you purcahsed from us.mcafee.com
3. use the email address you registered with the product in loggin in
4. look for the product you have purchased and click on the blue download button for mcafee internet security
5. go through the download process as usual

let us know what happens...
john-doe
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

i did as you instucted bua_ako and still have the same problem.When i check my account
page i have two versions of protection.One is Internet Security which i assume is the free
trial version and continues to runs out of date the other the 3 user version which i bought.

I have run virtual technician which tells me the problem is fixed but when it tries to update i recieve i message asking me to uninstall then reinstall which i have done countless times.
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

3. get the IP address from the replies and the number of packets lost and post it here.

also if you run MVT please post the session ID of the MVT here.
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Then arises a problem.. there is a chance of server misereading the subscription when you install it from Disc... let me know whether you regitered the product after installing from the Disc... if you have was it using sam,e e-mail address that had the trial version of internet security suite.. if so uninstall the product.. register the product using a different e-mail address...

IF you have successfully registered it, and can see the product under your account. Uninstall the product and install it frmo your online account not the CD...
john-doe
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

IP = 84.53.134.26
packets lost = 0
session id = 17325194
mvt = 4.3.30

Hope i did this correct
bua_ako
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

thanks for the post...

please read the post by matrixluke... might help out...

some questions that may help when answered..

1. when was the last time you did an uninstall and reinstall?
2. did you use the CD to install or did you install directly from your online account?
john-doe
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Hello matrixluke and thanks for your help with this issue.Yes i do believe i did registered the version of security i bought on disc with the same email address.Will give try using a
different email address
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community