cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billwoo
Former Member
Message 11 of 13

Re: Help my confusion with trusting/excluding "files" vs. trusting/excluding "programs"

Thanks so much. That has

2 files under quarantined items (threat generic.dx!).

5 items under potentially unwanted programs for scan date 2/26/16 (hmm *)

0 Trusted items

Potentially unwanted programs is the one I've been asking about.

* I must be scanning at least once per week! Is that shown under Navigation/features/scan your PC?

Thank you for your kind patience.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 13

Re: Help my confusion with trusting/excluding "files" vs. trusting/excluding "programs"

Generally the PUP's can be trusted, but I can't guarantee that.   The best way to avoid this is to be extra careful of your download sources, and even with reliable ones, monitor every download for unwanted extras..  Even Adobe updater sometimes throws in an unwanted program unless you deselect it during the process.

Your scan schedule is situated under Virus and Spyware Protection > Real-Time Scanning (or the blue Schedule and Run Scans (if shown on my main interface) > Scheduled Scans.

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 13 of 13

I second opinion on PUP's.
A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

The term was created because marketing firms objected to having their products called "spyware": in the view of such firms, all the information necessary for informed consent is included in the download agreement. It is widely recognized, however, that many if not most users fail to read a download agreement in sufficient detail to understand exactly what they are downloading.

McAfee differentiates PUPs from other types of malware, such as viruses, Trojans, and worms, which can be safely assumed to be unwanted by the user.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community