cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natt1511
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Help error message 12029

I'm trying to reinstall my Mcafee security center Aol edition. When I start the download manager it says Gathering Download information and then it says installation cannot continue (Download Error:12029). I have windows XP and I have tried the preinstallation and mcafee program removal tools. I talked to an Aol agent who had me to do the program removal tool again but it didnt work. Also what is wrong with the Mcafee chat support? I submit my info and it says my request number and a link that says download chat client here and everytime I click it, it doesnt download it just brings me back to the technical support home page.
1 Reply
davehorne
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

RE: Help error message 12029

First, Ex_Brit is much more knowledgeable than I but I will pass on a Windows tool that could help you.

If you go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and download the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility that might clear the way up for you to reinstall the program in question. __Read the article closely and _only_ click on the specific program you wish to remove._

I used this Windows utility as it was the only way to remove an older version of a Dell computer utility (Dell Support Center) and install the newer version. That Windows utility worked for me in that one instance.

From that MSKB article ........

When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program. You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted.

Do not worry. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community