cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mededitor
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

RE: verify subscription

I'm just checking back to see if there has been any fix found for this problem---obviously not.

I've completely deleted McAfee SecurityCenter 2009 from my computer and downloaded Norton Internet Security 2010. It runs smooth as silk and I haven't had any problems with it---Norton has a much smaller footprint than it used to have in older versions. I got it on sale and it comes with 3 user licenses, so I can use it on my PC, my laptop, and my husband's PC.

It's a shame, I used to like McAfee. However, not only is this ongoing problem unacceptable, but the inability of McAfee's own techs to solve this problem is even more troubling to me. McAfee should have a permanent fix, known by all techs and fixed with a patch, at this point.

The volunteers here have been great and I'm sure they wish this issue could be added to the "Solved" forum.
Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 17

RE: verify subscription

The volunteers here have been great and I'm sure they wish this issue could be added to the "Solved" forum.

YEP I second that this and the "not protected real time scanning disabled" is becoming annoying as atm no solution is seen. The techs are gathering data and it would be nice if those remaining happy could be patient. MY xp Pc with 9.15 on it doesn't have an issue so it is not common to all users.
SierraX
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

11 days

Silly me, I went 11 days without the dreaded pop-up window to verify subscription until today.

The latest October Verify Subscription incidents, all in Eastern Time:
10/7 4:46 pm
10/9 5:38 pm
10/10 4/12 pm

This morning I found where I had to restart due to a McAfee update. Since my computer has been restarted two other times this month without incident and the automated McAfee check for updates had been running smoothly, I mistakenly thought "no big deal".

Restarted the computer about 10:00 am Eastern Time. Sometime between 2:30 pm and 4:00 pm today, the dreaded pop-up window was back to verify subscription.

I have done everything the McAfee phone support suggested and still no solution. Norton may be the best option yet. sad
Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 17

RE: 11 days

Check your PC for the files mcsubdb.dat and .bak they are in

For Vista Check whether these files are still there
C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MSC\mcsubdb.dat
C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MSC\cache\mcsubdb.bak

If they are not there post back.

In Xpnull search for them.

If they are not there the work around is to uninstall reinstall via mcpr removal tool in my sig and then copy the 2 files to your desktop. When you get the issue recopy back to the folders. That was the last workaround I was told other than remove adware from your Pc before reinstalling. You can reload it later but it can react with mcafee even the free version can.
SierraX
Contributor
Message 15 of 17

One of the phone techs removed the mcsubdb.dat file.
If I understand you correctly, you want to put it back in???:confused:
Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 17

Did he replace it with another. the idea is the files are missing due to an unknown cause maybe viral and we replace them with 1s that have been setup foe the exactly same programs you have installed.. that is why I suggested uninstalling and reinstalling then copying the files to have in reserve.

Mcafee is trying to see what is corrupting (probably why the tech removed it) it or removing it. Usually next boot the .bak version is copied To the folder the dat file was in and renamed. Has it been ie have you a .dat version now?
SierraX
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Thank you, Tony.
Yes my XP has:
McSubDB.Dat located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MSC
and
McSubDB.Bak located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MSC\Cache

Both are 7 KB and were modified 10/21/2009 at 3:53 pm - most likely the last time the McAfee automated update ran and I got the dreaded Verify Subscription pop-up window again.

Soooo frustrating since it went 11 days without a problem. sad
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community