cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DerekShaw
Contributor
Message 1 of 1

Full Scan disables internet access - how can I fix this?

My wife now has another problem with McAfee involving doing a Full Scan.

I have a 3-user Internet Security Suite. It was originally purchased in 2007 but is described as "versionless" so it is not really "version" 2007, 2008 or 2009.

It is currently installed on two computers, both with Windows XP Professional: mine is SP3 and my wife's (which is older) has SP2 - I had some problems getting mine from SP2 to SP3 so have not been brave enough yet to try this on hers!

The "Verify your subscription" problem every day on her computer was solved by a McAfee update earlier this year, since when McAfee has been working fine with updating set to automatic, but now she has another problem.

I can do a Full Scan on mine and continue to work more or less normally. There is some mutual effect on speed (programs tend to respond a bit slower and the scan takes longer) but this is only a slight inconvenience for me - it just needs a little patience when working. However, my wife's computer is a bit slower than mine and with a bit less RAM so I have not scheduled a Full Scan as on mine (once a week) but do this manually from time to time - sometimes I must admit not frequently enough.

A few days ago I attempted to do a Full Scan on her computer and this completely disabled all internet access. It was not possible to browse with either of the browsers that we use (Firefox 3.5.9 or the latest version of IE 😎 or to use e-mail (Thunderbird 2.0.0.24). I did not try, but I suspect that internet access was blocked to all programs.

Pausing the scan or cancelling it or even allowing it to run to completion does not restore internet access and it is necessary to restart the computer to get internet access back.

I tried again after checking the McAfee options and a cold reboot, but starting a Full Scan still gives the same problem. I have not tried a custom scan on a single folder or file yet to see if it is only a Full Scan which does this but in any case my main concern is not being able to continue working whilst doing a Full Scan.

So has anyone any ideas please on how to solve this problem.

Derek Shaw.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community