Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 5

From free to paid.

Jump to solution

I posted this question last weekend under Personal Firewall.  I haven't gotten any response, so I may have posted it under the wrong forum.

I have McAfee Personal Firewall Plus For MSN; it's included with my MSN Premium subscription.  I've received notice from MSN that as of the end of June, they will no longer provide McAfee as part of the subscription.  I want to stay with McAfee and pay for it at that time; how do I go about doing that?  Do I uninstall my free one (and what steps, in detail, please?), then go into McAfee's website to purchase a new plan?  Or will downloading and installing a new (paid) plan automatically remove my free one?  Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5

Re: From free to paid.

Jump to solution

Hello mrshvd3

I would suggest you to follow the below sequence to purchase a paid McAfee version and then get it installed on the computer.

1. Go to https://home.mcafee.com and purchase a McAfee subscription as per your requirement. I will recommend you to purchase a subscription after the MSN stops the McAfee subscription.

2. Now we will have to uninstall the free McAfee subscription. If you are using a Windows OS, follow the Knowledge Base article TS101331 to uninstall the free McAfee subscription.

3. If you are using a Mac machine, follow the below steps.
     a. In the Dock, find and open the Applications folder.
     b. Double-click the McAfee Uninstaller.
     c. Select the checkbox to uninstall SiteAdvisor.
     d. Click Continue.
     e. Type in your administrator password and click OK.
     f. Click Finish and restart.

3. After the removal is complete, follow the Knowledge Base article TS100342  to install the McAfee that you purchased. The article has steps for both Windows and Mac.

Feel free to contact support if you run into any issues while following the above steps.

Regards
Farhan

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello mrshvd3

I would suggest you to follow the below sequence to purchase a paid McAfee version and then get it installed on the computer.

1. Go to https://home.mcafee.com and purchase a McAfee subscription as per your requirement. I will recommend you to purchase a subscription after the MSN stops the McAfee subscription.

2. Now we will have to uninstall the free McAfee subscription. If you are using a Windows OS, follow the Knowledge Base article TS101331 to uninstall the free McAfee subscription.

d. Click Continue.

3. After the removal is complete, follow the Knowledge Base article TS100342  to install the McAfee that you purchased. The article has steps for both Windows and Mac.

Feel free to contact support if you run into any issues while following the above steps.

Regards
Farhan

mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

@Former Member wrote:

Hello mrshvd3

d. Click Continue.

Regards
Farhan

Hello, Farhan --

I thank you for your reply above (if I neglected to thank you when you posted it, my apologies!).  I've read it over numerous times since you posted it, and I keep coming up with one question -- why do you suggest that I wait until after my free McAfee has expired before uninstalling it and purchasing and installing a paid McAfee?  Won't that leave my computer unprotected in the meantime? 

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello @mrshvd3

My apologies for taking time to respond to your query. The reason I asked you to wait until your subscription from MSN expires was because if you waited until expiry of MSN subscription and then purchased McAfee, that would mean you will have a years protection from the date you purchased McAfee and the remaining days to expire of MSN subscription will not go waste.

Example:
If the MSN subscription was set to expire on the 26th of July 2018 and you purchased McAfee for a year on the 2nd of Julyitself, it would be valid only until 2nd of July2019. However, if you purchase McAfee on the 26th of July, it would be valid until 26th of July 2019. 

Regards
Farhan

mrshvd3
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution
I appreciate the thought. However, my MSN subscription is good until September, whereas the McAfee offered by them expired at the end of June. So, I went ahead and deleted the MSN/McAfee before the end of June and purchased and installed my new paid-for McAfee (Total Protection - 1 Device). I truly appreciate all the advice and information I received on this forum.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community