cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mullenette
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Frequent "Security Needs Attention" popups

I have McAfee Total Protection. I'm getting frequent popup warnings that my McAfee security needs attention/fixing. I have to click "Fix". and all is then ok. At times it asks me to confirm my subscription as well. The fixing need happens several times a day. It's mostly for "computer & files" sometimes Internet, sometimes mail. What is gong on? I also wasn't sure where to post this question.
9 Replies
Kobara
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

RE: Frequent "Security Needs Attention" popups

I am getting same message. Not as frequently as OP but about once a week or two. It is annoying because when the message appears, it also shuts off my protection until I "fix" the problem by "verifying my subscription" I have used Mcafee for several years and am happy with it overall but cannot have my computer randomly left unprotected through the action of McAfee randomly shutting off. Please do not allow this to continue happening. My subscription is good until Oct of 2009 and I paid for 24/7 protection. I should not have to "verify" anything. Thank you.
mullenette
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Re:"Security Needs Attention Shut Offs"

How do we get McAffee to address this? What exactly is going on?
It seems a real threat to our security.
mullenette
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

possible solution

I found through attempting to download/use McAfee virtual technician some info where possibly its the SystemGuard protection disabled and it offered 3 options for poss. solutions. I had trouble doing one of the options. Also had trouble downloading the virtual technician the first time... but it finally worked. Nothing I did exactly worked the way they listed it...but it "appears" to be ok now. Time will tell. Anyhow you might try to download their virtual technician and run that and see if that clears it.
mullenette
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

It didn't Work

Sorry, the process didn't work. It's still doing the same thing.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

RE: It didn't Work

Unless you would prefer to actually use the Technical Support Chat, linked at top left of page or in my signature, all I can suggest is the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming
If you can't find these files don't worry. It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site, NOT from any CD that you may have.

For further assistance here we need more information....

Please include the following information:

What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update? There are two ways of checking this. Go to Start/Run and type in winver then click the Enter key. Or, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu or on your desktop (or Computer in Vista) and select Properties.
Post what it says.

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - right-click it and go to each application "About" and post the details.
If it is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
user_25581
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

"SystemGuards Disabled" Solutions Do Not Work!

O.K.!

I have Windows XP 2000 and for several months (only since my 2009 subscription was renewed on-line and downloaded) I have been getting the "Systems Guards Disabld" pop-up. I repeatedly fix manually; I have used the virtual technician several times; and I have read and done the following several times (Option 1 and Option 3):

"Description
If your computer is experiencing this issue, and you are unable resolve it permanently by clicking the Fix button, continue to the solutions below.

Note: While some features related to system protection may be affected, the overall security should not be impacted.

Solution

Option 1: Clear the local cached copy of the HackerWatch database file and download a fresh copy.
Windows XP / 2000:
Click Start, Run, type Explorer.exe, and click OK.
Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\HackerWatch\data.
Delete the file HwLocal.xdb.
Close Windows Explorer and restart your computer.
Right-click the M icon in the system tray (near the clock) and select Updates.
Windows Vista:
Right-click the Windows button and select Explore.
Navigate to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\HackerWatch\data.
Delete the file HwLocal.xdb.
Close Windows Explorer and restart your computer.
Right-click the M icon in the system tray (near the clock) and select Updates.
Note: If you cannot find the folders listed above in Windows Explorer, copy and paste the full path into the address bar of Windows Explorer and press ENTER. If your issue is not resolved, continue to the steps below."

and

"Option 3:

Update the permissions to the logs folder.
Windows XP / 2000:
Open Internet Explorer.
Go to the following link:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/SysGrdOptnFx.bat"

Neither solution works and I still have to continue to manually "Fix" this pop-up notice almost every time I turn on my computer!

Should I go back to Norton?

Jim
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

RE: "SystemGuards Disabled" Solutions Do Not Work!

We are all getting periodic issues where we have to click "Fix" - these are known bugs. The developers have told us that although Security seems to be down at that time, it actually isn't. 2 out of 3 of the bugs have been dealt with but the 3rd one is more difficult and should hopefully be dealt with soon. However, so they also tell us, the problem wont even exist in the new 2010 product which will enter beta testing soon, because it is designed differently. I don't have a date for the beta testing yet though.

It's your option of course, whether or not you want to stay the course.

There is no such thing as Windows XP 2000, it should be XP SP3 to be current. Right-click "My Computer" and go to Properties. It tells you there.
user_25581
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

System Guards Protection

Thank you Ex-Brit!

Of course you are correct that "There is no such thing as Windows XP 2000"! I miswrote!!!

I have "Microsoft Window XP Home Edition Version 2002 [not 2000] with Service Pack 3".

Interesting about the "Systems Guard Pop-up Bug" which cannot be fixed. I hope that the "developers" who have told you they cannot fix this are not also writting the anti-virus programs used by McAfee!(;>)

Jim
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

RE: System Guards Protection

LOL, so do I...!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community