cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
solis
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Firewall: off or on, after installing Total Protection Security Center?

I'm at a lost at the moment, this problem happened after I had to reinstall Total Protection 2011 because the subscription date referenced the old McAfee software.

For some reason the Total Protection 2011 does not indicate that the existing McAfee software program needed to be uninstalled as this was an upgrade. But maybe McAfee needs to be explicit that any upgrade of a McAfee product that offers enhanced features is a new installation, and therefore should be unistalled completely.

So after installing Total Protection 2011 and the unnecessary reinstalling of the the Security Center following a hard reboot, I noticed that the Firewall setting was still greyed out. The cleanup tool should kick in before the installation process, on first install this did not happen but did on the second install.

QUESTION 1. Should I have disabled/uninstalled Spybot Search & Destroy during Total Protection installation?

• Spybot was the only software that came up as a conflict and I bypass it and continued with the installation
  • From the home screen it states that the Firewall is turned ON
  • Settings screen states the Firewall is OFF with two options of Turn On / Restore
  • Click to Turn On, the Done button shows up but in the Firewall home screen indicates Firewall Off

When I ran Virtual Technician it states three files were missing but did not list them these files

So I ran Winpatrol and noticed 3 files in the services tab which did not have icons:-

• mfefire.exe > McAfee Firewall Core Srvice
  • mcshield.exe > McAfee McShield
  • mfevtps.exe > McAfee Validtion Trust Protection

If three files identifed in Virtual Technician are missing, could it be the ones which did not hav a McAfee icons against the files, if yes can the above files be separately downloaded and added to the program.

I checked the file out in Windows XP Services > Dependencies ::::

McAfee Firewall Core Service requires ...

- McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

components files needed > McAfee Firewall Core

- anti-spam service

- network agent

- proxy service

McAfee McShield requires ...

McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires ...

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

McAfee Validation Trust Protection requires ...

- McAfe Inc. mfehidk

components needed > McAfee Firewall Core

- anti-spam service

- network agent

- proxy service

QUESTION 2. Do  I disable/uninstall Spybot Search & Destroy and reinstall Total Protection?

4 Replies
newjack
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Firewall: off or on, after installing Total Protection Security Center?

Unfortunatly your best bet is to do a total reinstall.First you will have to uninstall spy bot.I think I read somewhere that spt bot is not compatible with Mcafee.Then uninstall Mcafee from programs control panal as normal.After uninstall reboot.Then Run MCPR  it is at the top of this page under useful links.After MCPR is finished reboot again.Then reinstall.

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Here is the article I read.I guess you could reinstall spy bot after Mcafee.But it says to turn off tea timer?I had the same problem with Malwarebytes.I had to uninstall and then reinstall Malwarebytes after.So it should work if you do this.

spy bot.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

When you say the Firewall is greyed out are you referring to Windows Security Center in Windows 7?   If so that is normal as McAfee Firewall controls it.

As Newjack has said Spybot's Teatimer or real time protection isn't compatible.

Best to uninstall normally via Control panel, then run the MCPR tool listed in Useful Links at the top of the page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/10/11 6:58:26 EDT PM
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hello solis,

Normally we don’t suggest having any other security software installed along with McAfee total protection  as even if not at the moment ,but later it might have a conflict during updates.

Speaking of those three files, they are the dependency services for McAfee programs , so the best way to sort this out would be to run the removal tool for spybot and remove the programs completely .Then run the McAfee removal tool from here : http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100507 and restart  the PC

Run Mcpreinstall tool from here http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100614

Logon to your McAfee account here and reinstall the applications and everything should be alright

Cheers,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community