Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandy27215
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi, hope someone can help.

I recently installed McAfee and it seems to be blocking my Apple TV from syncing with iTunes on my Windows operating system. It was giving me a port 3689 error. I contacted McAfee support and they suggested to go to the McAfee SecurityCenter click on Internet & Network > Configure > Firewall Advanced Options > System Services and add Apple TV with 3689 in both the Local TCP/IP Ports and UDP Ports.

But I still can't sync. Any ideas?

Thanks.
5 Replies
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Could you explain in detail on how the devices are setup in your network?

Addendum:

McAfee SecurityCenter click on Internet & Network > Configure > Firewall Advanced Options > System Services
Under system services click Add and specify the following:( you may edit the newly created one)
Program name (iTunes Sharing), Inbound TCP/IP ports (3689), Outbound TCP/IP ports (3689), Inbound UDP ports (5353), Outbound UDP ports (5353).
sandy27215
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi vinod_r2,

Please keep in mind that I'm not a tech guy, so I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll try.

My iTunes is on a Dell desktop that runs on XP and is connected directly to a wireless Motorola router. My apple tv is wireless also connecting through the router. When I try to sync the itunes and apple tv, I'm getting an error code to open a communication port 3689.

I hope this is what you need. Please ask if you need more information to diagnose the problem.

Thanks.
anthonyjclarke
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Re: RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Wondering how/if you ever got this fixed... I have the same problem....

sandy27215
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Re: RE: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi Anthony,

This was some time ago, so I don't exactly remember how I did it.  I believe I was able to manage network from the McAfee Security Center and somehow allow the appletv.  I'm sorry I don't have more info for you.

alex

user_135799
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Re: Firewall blocking Apple TV

Hi,

How many computers you have ?

Is itunes and Apple TV on the same computer ?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community