Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolphin203
Former Member
Message 11 of 21

Re: Firewall Cannot be "Turned On"

Jump to solution

I just completed a removal of the software with Windows Firewall off and using MCPR. I reinstalled the Security Center and have the same results. The Home page indicates the PC is protected and the Personal Firewall is on. However, when selecting Personal Firewall the Window is green but indicates the Firewall is off. Selecting "Turn On" it changes to on and instantaneously goes back to off. All settings appear to be preset and grayed out. No changes can be made. This is really weird. I'm going to bring up my laptop which has the same security center, but everything works in the Personal Firewall and do some comparisons.

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 21

Jump to solution

Strange does still sound a clash of programs. So windows firewall only other firewall installed? .

Jayadeep can you arrange someone to contact dolphin203 please, this needs closer looking at.

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 13 of 21

Jump to solution

I compared the settings with my Laptop. The McAfee Firewall Service is started and Security Center is working fine.  As I indicated on 4/27 the Firewall Service on the Desktop is set to Automatic, but not started. When trying to restart I receive indication it can't be done because the file "MPFSRV.EXE" is missing. I looked for this file on the Laptop but it was not in the McAfee program folder. On the Laptop I can turn the service on or off.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 14 of 21

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have sent a private message regarding this issue and let me know the status

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 15 of 21

Jump to solution

I'm not to keen about letting someone or entity to remotely access my system. I'd like to discuss the problem via telephone or an online chat. Under these circumstances I could follow their instructions. If they need specific information I'd be glad to send it along.

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 21

Jump to solution

That is your right but they are trustworthy and I have just let them ie the higher level techs fix my son in law's PC. They do not look at your private files only check around and see if you have clashing programs and take logs.

Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 21

Jump to solution

Please try post 8 Go into services in run box and restart the firewall process. exit and reboot..

The remote help also can help you

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 18 of 21

Jump to solution

Tried another uninstall and reinstall...Same problem. This is really strange. All indications are the Firewall is working until one selects it. Well Peacekeeper, I'll take your word it's trusworthy to let online help look. I'll get with them tomorrow, I'm a little bushed tonight.

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 19 of 21

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper, I decided to let Tech Support Remotely access my system. Level 1 support had no luck, they transfered me to level 2 tech support. After retracing everything that had been done multiple times over the last several weeks, they went into control panel and removed Ad-Aware software and Norton update and WMI software. After restarts the same problem existed. They then went into Services stopping and starting Windows Firewall and McAFee. Still no help. They then removed the software again with one of their programs. While I watched the screen the uninstall removed and stopped a lot of services connected to the McAfee software. They then had me do another complete reinstall and presto everything is now working fine. I ask them how I should close out my forum question and they replied; Started Windows Firewall Service and set it to Automatic. I replied that could not have been the problem because that in fact had been accomplished many times. They indicated the third party software Ad-Aware and Norton, (this was not Norton Virus Software), could over time cause the problem. That's about all they would pass on to me. I guess the combination off these things and the reinstall did the trick.

I'd like to thank everyone who offer their assistance on this problem. It sure had me scratching my head and I still don't know which of what tech support did that was the final answer.

dolphin203
Former Member
Message 20 of 21

Jump to solution

Jayadeep, Online Tech Support remotely accessed my PC did what you suggested.  That did not correct the problem, But I feel it was part of the solution after removing AD-Aware and a complete removal and reinstall.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community