cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rabbit2
Contributor
Message 251 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Hi Dinz

I've just carried out a manual update and again I've been left at SC10.5.247 with the only change being to the dat file which is now at 6496. Unsurprisingly everything is working fine. See my post 377 for the first time that this happened. My McAfee is retail/subscription. By the way, what is Aff.ID and where is it?

Peacekeeper
Message 252 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

affid id is found in the security centre details. IE navigation and about centre left of screen.

With it dinz can see who you got your version from.

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 253 of 263

Jump to solution

There's not much activity here because we're waiting for McAfee to fix the malfunction and report the status. There has been 4 months of pointless activity on this thread, what has McAfee done to fix the problem?

What is this expectation of us to risk our systems further without even having communicated that anything has been done to repair the malfunction?

What has McAfee done to fix the problem?

Peacekeeper
Message 254 of 263

Jump to solution

Dinz can answer that better but from the above posts there appears to be a feeling that the issue has been fixed by another patch that went through. That is why Dinz is asking the question. as far as i gather no patch has been released aimed at this issue itself.

I assume you are sayng the issue is still there?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/10/11 7:16:22 AM
rabbit2
Contributor
Message 255 of 263

Jump to solution

Dinz

Aff ID found at Navigation\About = 0-1263. Remember, I system restored and am still at SC version 10.5.247 so don't currently see a problem.

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 256 of 263

Jump to solution

Peacekeeper wrote:

I assume you are sayng the issue is still there?

As I explained earlier in the thread; since the problem started I have had Updates and Real-Time Scanning disabled to prevent further damage being caused, until McAfee fixes the software. Disabling Updates and Real-Time Scanning stopped any further damage being caused, therefore I didn't uninstall McAfee, and have been waiting for over two months for McAfee to fix the software and announce it on the thread. I haven't performed an update or a scan for two and half months - waiting for McAfee to announce they've fixed the software on this thread. Nothing has been communicated here by McAfee to say they've fixed the malfunction.

I don't know if the problem is still there, I don't know if it's safe to update, I don't know if it's safe to scan, I don't know how to replace the files McAfee software deleted and corrupted, I don't know what if anything McAfee is doing to fix the problem. Total neglect by McAfee, total lack of communication by McAfee, total lack of respect by McAfee. What kind of a company is this? Why should any of us ever use McAfee software again?

This question keeps being ignored - What has McAfee done to fix the problem? That question alone is what this thread is concerned with.

yippeekaiyay
Former Member
Message 257 of 263

Jump to solution

The issue was "fixed" for a number of people with a recent update that was released to address a file property issue other users were suffering. Apparently with that update, people stopped getting the WFP errors. Some now have the svchost.exe warnings about untrusted or unsigned code. Enmerkar, my guess is if you let McAfee update to whatever the build version is now.. I think it's 11.0.608 for SecurityCenter, it might finally work for you. You could get the svchost.exe warnings other people are having. I'm not having those, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Regardless, it appears McAfee's investigation into this stopped when it was "accidentally fixed" and no explanations were provided. Given that McAfee's software was at fault and they put users through a lot of misery for over 3 months, McAfee should complete their investigation of the bug and confirm to us what the unexplained system changes were that triggered WFP warnings and whether any damage occurred from it. That might actually put customers at ease and show that McAfee is responsible and cares about quality assurance. I think it's more than clear that no one saw these warnings and effects in product testing because McAfee was probably run on Windows XP on a virtual machine within Windows Vista or 7, which is where the error has never been seen.

Peacekeeper
Message 258 of 263

Jump to solution

I do not think it is "fixed" I will however chase this up in our Monday's call

hud_engineer
Contributor
Message 259 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi, I've only just found this thread, after ages spent trying to sort this out when it first surfaced.  At the time, I put it down to a possible accidental invocation of an AOL icon on my desktop, and after abysmal failure to uninstall AOL, my solution was to use MSConfig to select "Selective Startup" and  with the Service: "AOL Connectivity Service" disabled, and the Startup: AOL 9.0 Tray Icon, AOLDial, and AOLSoftware disabled, the problem message did not appear.  The downside to this arangement was having to confirm the selective startup each time. 

Since finding this thread, this afternoon, and with McAfee Internet Security 11.0.623 update, I have reselected Normal Startup (with the AOL components, despite my misgivings), and so far the results for my Dell PC running Win XP SP3 are promising, after just one reboot, admittedly.

(For my Notebook PC - also XP SP3 -, the update from 11.0.60x to 11.0.623 didn't go well, and now the Device Manager shows that "McAfee Core NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport" errors prevent any network port(wired or wireless) from working, even in Safe Mode, and MCPR cannot Uninstall McAfee, so that is a big disappointment as it looks like the entire PC will need to be re-imaged.  If anyone has a less distressing recovery scheme, please let me know.).  I used to feel resentful how much of my PC time McAfee consumed; now it is my personal time that is hurting.

Andy

Peacekeeper
Message 260 of 263

Jump to solution

Asking the techs for comment

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community