cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snaffle
Contributor
Message 41 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

Enmerkar,

Actually, windows DID accept my original full version WIN XP CD when prompted and it did seem to add alot of files to the dllcache (they were very old). The problem I had was my CDROM is not functioning very well right now and during the process, I kept getting a popup message of the system indicating Can't continue, retry or cancel. I kept clicking retry, and then the process would "continue" and then do it again and again. Eventually the process completed. I just kept clicking on "retry".

After the process was over, the sfc window closed and I never saw any kind of "log" of what was added or what may still be "missing". How do you access the results of running a sfc scanonce??

As I mentioned before, the first time I got the pop up of the process cannot continue, I tried changing the CD to win WIN XP SERVICE PACK 2 CD and I immediately got a message that that CD was not the proper CD.

Bottom line is I think I just added a whole bunch of unnecessary old files to the dllcache that were probably taken out or removed by SP2 and SP3. The result of doing this did not change anything operationally.

One thing to note is that my original XP install CD was a "full version" of WIN XP Pro, not a OEM or "upgrade" version.

Hope that helps

-Snaffle

radarmus
Former Member
Message 42 of 263

Re: Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Jump to solution

I Have the same problem, first it was my mother 400Km away there had that problem (I have been stupid to give her a McAfee ) I could only help over telephone she is 74 years. Now my machin have done it two times, first time I was fixing it with online SP3 http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=da and now McAfee are updating again and change critical system files. I think this is unprofessional that a ANTIVIRUS program are doing something that I actually had purchased it to protect me against. I have uses McAfee for long time but it seems like it are getting slower at updates needs restart and now this. Please come up with a solution else I only see on solution, and that would be to get Trend Micro antivirus (I use that on my Asus egg and it works fine)

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 43 of 263

Jump to solution

Snaffle,

What I did was run sfc /scannow and then check Event Viewer to see which files were missing.

enmerkar
Former Member
Message 44 of 263

Jump to solution

At least a dozen people affected by this problem have posted on the forum. We've had no response, no acknowledgement, no apology, and no solution from McAfee in 2 months. People have had their systems damaged by this malfunction. For a commercial piece of software this is absolutely unacceptable.

McAfee is doing nothing about it, they evidently don't care.

Peacekeeper
Message 45 of 263

Jump to solution

We are discussing this tomorrow at 3pm US time. We never let mcafee forget about these issues so it will be addressed soon.

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 46 of 263

Jump to solution

Frustration.

That's what the paying McAfee customers are experiencing on this thread.

Frustration that someone from McAfee can't be bothered to post in an officially capacity (like on other threads).

Frustration that this issue is 2+ months old.

Frustration that XP SP3 systems are being damaged by software that's supposed to protect.

Frustration at no feedback from the mods to McAfee "discussions" (why keep talking about it??? - surely this thread provides a wealth of info???)

I could go on, but I am getting frustrated.

"frus·tra·tion"

noun?/fr??strāSH?n/?

frustrations, plural

1) The prevention of the progress, success, or fulfillment of something

2) The feeling of being upset or annoyed, esp. because of inability to change or achieve something

3) An event or circumstance that causes one to have such a feeling

Peacekeeper
Message 47 of 263

Jump to solution

I keep mentioning it as I mention it in our calls. Been 2 weeks since last call due to holiday Monday so will stir them up tomorrow.

Will actually post your frustrations there as well

blarty-fargo
Former Member
Message 48 of 263

Jump to solution

Thanks mate.

You mods do a great job.

Peacekeeper
Message 49 of 263

Jump to solution

Our tech who looks after us has put a bomb under the person looking at the issue. I will keep an eye on it as well

snaffle
Contributor
Message 50 of 263

Jump to solution

Hi Enmerkar,

Thanks for the info on where to look for the SFC results. I ran sfc\scanonce so maybe that is why I did not see a log or display of items missing.

Meanwhile, sharing to you all,  my system overall seems to be OK except for the ATI graphic driver files being replaced at every shut down and the fact I cannot even reinstall the CCC software as it no longer works even when I do re-install it, making me wonder if some of my system files have been replaced to where my Net Framework 2.0 or something else has been corrupted with all these WFP errors and replacements.

For now I have taken a temporary step of removing all Mcafee AV Software from my system and am using MS Security Essentials for now as my AV Protection. Since I did that, all WFP errors have ceased and so far my ATI drivers have remained intact so I can get my work done on my PC without spending hours reinstalling them over and over again. Still, I have yet to get my Catalyst Control Center (which gives me control of my graphics card) to install or run. That CCC issue may not be related to the Mcafee bug, although in the many years I have had ATI cards, this is the first time I have not been able to get the CCC to install properly. Funny thing is it did work once, as I initially installed it with Mcafee RTS off, then after the install was done, I turned RTS on, then of course WFP replaced all my graphics drivers, so I had to re-install, and since then CCC will not install properly or run.

Oh well, I'll keep working on fixing that problem but at least for now I can turn on my computer and have at least 60HZ on my monitor and the main graphics drivers stay intact without having to go back to VGA mode every time I boot.

BTW when I read 2 professional reviews for MS Security Essentials, Mcafee was not even mentioned in the comparisons of  "other" Anti Virus Software choices on the current market.. Hmmm.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community