cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 23

Re: Feedback about Messages/Alerts

I always backup Mcafee with a free malware scanner that adds just that little bit more protection.

Answered you best I could in your other thread

Merry xmas also

blarg
Former Member
Message 12 of 23

Adding my agreement to the topic.

Pop-ups of any kind, of any frequency, for any duration, on any subject other than as a security warning (that is what the software is for, right?) are unacceptable.  The entire issue could easily be resolved by adding one tick box to information alerts under general settings:  "O   Notify me about new products and special offers".  It can even be selected by default during installation.

McAfee, add the opt-out.  There is no possible argument for why McAfee should have the right to grant themself special access to my desktop.  Imagine printers, cameras, office programs, backup managers, communication software, and storage devices all granting themselves similar privileges.

Peacekeeper
Message 13 of 23

For Doug's info

https://community.mcafee.com/message/223862#223862

Another couple users with popup issues.

I will add this a a feature request in the 2012 beta. never know might stick

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/01/12 6:33:16 AM
nellienobody
Contributor
Message 14 of 23

See the following:

"Can't turn off Windows Firewall warning after installing 11.0.654"

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/42381?tstart=0

This issue is a bug! It involves a checkbox that doesn't make any difference, not a "a balance for our customers so everyone is happy"!

Moderator responses to this issue seem to be along the lines of, why should McAfee waste precious time fixing a problem that only affects a handful of relatively sophisticated customers who have hardware firewalls?

My response is, why the h*ll not? We are exactly the people y'all should be bending over to please since we are the ones that less sophisticated users turn to for help! The last thing y'all should want is to PO your super users!

Again, fabulous marketing scheme you people have!

Peacekeeper
Message 15 of 23

Actually this mod just showed links to posts by Mcafee staff. The number of users who do not use a software firewall is very small compared to the market coverage of the bundled software. Mcafee was (in the link I gave you) considering the option of a setting to disable the warning.

I will ask those you may know more in our Monday call.

tomlamson
Former Member
Message 16 of 23

I have been using McAfee for years and complained about pop-up ads in the past.

They seemed to go away but I recently changed from Total Protection to Antivirus Plus and they started back up.

"Upgrade to McAfee All Acces for just $5"

I did a complete uninstall so maybe that's why it forgot that I WAS a satisfied customer.

How can I turn off these popups?

One final note: My complaint was different from most. I use my computer for real-time audio recording. Playing music requires focus and inspiration. A popup ad inspires anger which is the inspiration that I am looking for. In addition, real time recording cannot afford the CPU cycles lost for the popup and might cause a pop in the recording.

McAfee is one and only software that I have installed that pops up ads.

Please send instructions for disabling them

Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 23

Is the new siftware purchased from a Mcafee partner such as Dell? They seem to be more common in throwing popups. My retail version never does.

tomlamson
Former Member
Message 18 of 23

I bought a CD but did install from the web. No other parties are involved.

It is possible that I had configured it somehow to not popup advertisements and that got lost when I started with a fresh install. Any tips on how I might resset that?

By the way, I am not against popups that indicate a threat. I am against popups that ask me for more money.

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 23

I agree but Marketing seems to be a law unto themselves. There is no way to stop the ads. All that can be done is complain to execs on the mcafee contact list and then maybe something will be done if enough complain. As I have all access the top product they cannot sell me more. So get no popups.

Speranza239
Contributor
Message 20 of 23

I've just had a message pop up on my screen prompting meto renew my subscription. as I haven't received an email I have assumed it's a scam. It looks authentic but why would it happen like that?I've tweeted your help desk.

Tags (3)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community