Contributor
Message 1 of 9

False Positive

Jump to solution

Hello Peter and all,

McAfee Internet Security 9.15

Engine 5301.4018

DAT 5840.0000

I'm getting a FP on the uninstaller for Shadow Defender - uninstall.exe.

I have submitted the file twice to Avert Labs in the last 5 days with the initial findings being inconclusive.

Any idea on how long I will have to wait for a researcher to analize the file and get back to me?

I've had FP's before with McAfee and usually received an Extra.Dat within 24 hours. Is there any way to escalate this to get it resolved as soon as possible.

File Analysis ID:

Thanks for any help,

Gerry.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nchattop
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Re: False Positive

Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you for submitting your suspicious file.

McAfee Labs researchers have examined the file in question and no malware was found.

McAfee(R) Artemis technology provides real-time protection that secures enterprises and consumers from threats as they strike and much quicker than traditional signatures can be deployed. As Artemis is updated in real-time there is no requirement to wait for a full DAT update nor to use an EXTRA.DAT intermediate solution. Simply wait approximately 30 minutes and this false will no longer exist or trigger on your system. Depending on the network settings you have or the caching involved between your system and ours it may take slightly longer for this false alarm to be resolved.

Please let us know if any issue persists.

Regards

Neha

View solution in original post

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

We have no way of escalating them here.  I'll try to alert internally but at Christmas it's not going to be dealt with very quickly, here at least.

If they have replied by email respond asking for a decision.  Keep the email header intact of course.

By the way you should be installing SP2 a.s.a.p....!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/12/09 8:59:33 EST AM
red_dawn
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and all the best in the new year.

Sp2 already installed, just need to update my sig. Thanks for the reminder though.

Best regards,

Gerry.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks. Good - glad you've updated OK.  All the Best to you too.  I did post an alert in the Threat Center Moderators' section, but it's another matter if anyone is 'at home" there right now.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Got a message just now that they are "looking at it" with a reminder that "Customer is also able to escalate via a chat session to support".

nchattop
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you for submitting your suspicious file.

McAfee Labs researchers have examined the file in question and no malware was found.

McAfee(R) Artemis technology provides real-time protection that secures enterprises and consumers from threats as they strike and much quicker than traditional signatures can be deployed. As Artemis is updated in real-time there is no requirement to wait for a full DAT update nor to use an EXTRA.DAT intermediate solution. Simply wait approximately 30 minutes and this false will no longer exist or trigger on your system. Depending on the network settings you have or the caching involved between your system and ours it may take slightly longer for this false alarm to be resolved.

Please let us know if any issue persists.

Regards

Neha

red_dawn
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi Peter and Neha,

Just scanned the file again and it's no longer being flagged.

Thank you both for all your help in resolving this FP detection, very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Gerry.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Glad it's OK now.   All the best.

user_101687
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for all your help for helping us solve this issue.

We have tested, and it's OK now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community