cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rolled
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Expired Subscription - Disable Reminders

I have a Dell Vostro 1720 with Windows 7 Ultimate and McAfee Security Centre installed. (v9.15.175)  My subscription to McAfee has expired, so I have installed avast as my anti-virus instead.  However, I would like to keep the McAfee Personal Firewall.  I am not concerned whether the Parental Controls or Anti-spam features work.

Is there a way to reconfigure McAfee so that it no longer claims that my computer is unprotected?  Can I configure which components are installed by running the uninstall from Control Panel?  I'd rather run with the firewall than without McAfee.

Thank you.

2 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Expired Subscription - Disable Reminders

Hi rolled,

As your subscription has expired, you need to renew it so as the software could receive updates again . And post that  if you wish to keep the firewall part alone, run the MCPR removal tool from Useful links and the top of the this page and login back to McAfee account page from here : http://us.mcafeee.com and do a custom installation selecting only firewall by which the other components would be excluded.

Regards,

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: Expired Subscription - Disable Reminders

If you don't want to renew then you must uninstall it as it's basically useless without a subscription.  The SecurityCenter can't be configured to use McAfee Firewall only and even if it was it's the whole suite that's on subscription so the reminders will continue..  There are free firewall applications out there.  In the meanwhile if you are using XP SP3 or a later OS use Windows Firewall until you find a suitable substitute, it's better than nothing.

McAfee Removal Tool is linked under Useful Links at the top of this page by the way.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/03/11 8:09:52 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community